Indigo This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

In your March issue, you had a story in the fiction section called “Indigo.” In it, the author describes how indigo tastes and smells. If she really feels that way, there is a chance that she has a rare disease called synesthesia where there is a crossover between your five senses. For example, when you hear an alarm clock you taste bananas, or you see the color orange and smell pine trees. Synesthesia is probably one of the most interesting and little known diseases around. Oh, and chances are, almost everyone has a mild form of it, though no two are the same. So, next time you think that your Aussie Shampoo smells like purple (it does!) or that old books smell like Middle Earth (they do!), know that you aren’t crazy, and you’re definitely not alone.

ThisLitIsBananas This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Hey, just wanted to say that I am synesthetic. I have colours for every letter in the alphabet as well as numbers and words. I also connect colours and shades to music. But synesthesia isn't a disease - it's a condition, because it doesn't affect your health. Anyways, thanks for shedding light on this for some people. Me, I'm proud to be a synesthete! :)

pencilsFORhands This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jun. 29, 2011 at 11:39 am
i'm a synie also :D its no illness.. it's a gift :)