Hero: Kevin This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I like this story about Amber’s escape from her stepfather because I went through something sort of similar with my dad a few years ago. I was stuck with him over the summer and he emotionally abused me, but unfortunately I didn’t have a hero like Kevin to stick up for me. My sister was on his side because he’s a great liar. At one point I even cut myself with the hope that that he’d let me go home. What a stupid idea; a heartless man would never let me leave. He threatened to send me to the mental hospital and convinced my sister (and me, too, eventually) that I was crazy. I ran away but returned because I couldn’t survive on my own for three weeks since I wasn’t even ten years old!

I am happy that the author got out of her bad situation and that the courts kept her stepfather away from her. I wish I’d had someone like Kevin in my life that awful summer but my mom over the phone was good enough.