EMT This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I would like to thank Preethi F. for her strength in dealing with difficult situations as an EMT. I truly believe that EMTs do not receive the appreciation they deserve. I cannot imagine being called to a life-or-death situation. Preethi clearly explained how often the patient’s life depends on them.

A few years ago, my mother, while walking out of a store, was hit by a car. The impact was so forceful that she hit her head on the windshield and flew over the car. When she landed, she immediately had a seizure. By the time the EMTs arrived, other shoppers were trying to calm her. Amidst a concussion, seizures, and possible internal injuries, the EMTs calmed my mom until they got her to the hospital.

Now four years later, my mom has healed completely. The EMTs helped a woman they didn’t even know during the most critical moments between life and death. I am forever grateful to the EMTs who helped my mom. Preethi’s article is a clear example of how great EMTs really are.