Take It Like a Man This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

This article was very interesting, and a little frustrating. Jenny explains how she hates softball and refuses to play. Instead, she wants to play baseball, where the “real athletes” are. She claims softball is merely a sport of “high-pitched rhyming cheers and clean dugout floors” with short shorts, weird visors, and outfielders who play right on top of infielders.

Unfortunately, Jenny must have spent most of her time watching the little leaguers play softball. There, you do sing songs, wear cute uniforms, and get to have sodas after the games. Once you get older, the mood changes.

I play on a top-level club softball program, where the ultimate goal is getting a college scholarship. Our coach has had only one girl in the last 13 seasons who did not receive one, and that was because she dropped out of high school. Our schedule and games are grueling. This summer we only have one weekend off, the rest we will spend in Oklahoma, Colorado, Texas, Arizona, and California. These games are all about winning. We go all out, spit, get dirty, wear pants, break noses, dislocate shoulders and, of course, curse.

The game of softball was actually created before baseball, and is named for the ball’s soft core, not the exterior. I would recommend that Jenny watch a collegiate game - those girls know how to play.