Speak Up, Take Action | Teen Ink

Speak Up, Take Action MAG

In my world literature class, we have been learning about genocide, from the Holocaust to the genocide in Rwanda and the ongoing genocide in Darfur, Sudan. One thing I have learned from researching these atrocities is that the world cannot just do nothing. I want to encourage teenagers to use their voices and help stop the killing in Darfur.

In the three years since fighting broke out in the Darfur region, at least 400,000 people have died. Hundreds of thousands more have no food, shelter, medicine or clean water. Born and raised in the United States, I can’t even begin to relate to the suffering these people are experiencing. Imagine your whole life taken from you, your family and friends ruthlessly murdered, horrible things taking place before your eyes and you on the brink of death. You would be desperate for help.

I want to encourage everyone to raise your voice. We cannot just watch while these terrible crimes are committed. Inform yourself, then tell everyone you know. Write your officials and ask them to do what they can to help. Do whatever is in your power, even if it seems insignificant. If we all demand change, we can eventually help these people.