Due To Me This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

To Jessica, author of “Due to Me,” I understand what you went through. I live with my parents but most of the time it’s just me and my mom. My dad is basically never home but when he is, he seems like a stranger. He never talks to me except to say “Good-bye” or “Hi.” I do love him, don’t get me wrong, I just wish he were around more so we could have a normal relationship.

I have only seen him cry once. It was last December when we got a phone call with the news that his mother had passed away. I felt so bad for him but it was also weird because it was the first time in my life that I knew for sure that he loves. He just never shows it. A few weeks ago, we were talking and he said, “We are so much alike that I don’t feel we need to talk or share our feelings.” He is so wrong - I do need to talk to my dad and share feelings. Well, Jessica, I just wanted to tell you that you are certainly not alone.