Immigration | Teen Ink

Immigration MAG

I am appalled by this young woman’s thoughts about immigration. Firstly, it is obvious that a method has not been found to stop the influx of illegal immigrants, but closing the border (which is impossible, by the way) will not solve anything. This is because the illegal immigrants who have made it are generally not using the border to enter; they use alternate routes through deserts and mountains.

Secondly, the idea of closing the border is both idiotic and irrational. There would need to be a wall or other type of blockade completely separating the U.S. from Mexico with guards every quarter mile to stop people from crossing.

Thirdly, the U.S. is a country of immigrants and, aside from Native Americans, no one living here is actually from here. Everyone here is a Native American, an immigrant, or a descendant of someone who immigrated here for a better life, just as the current immigrants are doing.

Lastly, the U. S. relies on illegal immigrants to do the jobs Americans won’t do and that is part of the reason so many are here. Most Americans don’t want these low-paying jobs, but for illegal immigrants these low wages are more than they can earn in their own countries.

Tanglebird said...
While i respect your points, i must add that the border would not be impossible to close. america has the largest military force in the world, ergo we could terminte illegal immigration acost the border, though it would be impractical and costly.