Pursue Your Passions | Teen Ink

Pursue Your Passions MAG

December 30, 2009
By Wendy SILVER, Greenville, North Carolina
Wendy SILVER, Greenville, North Carolina
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Reading Abbie M.'s eye-opening “Pursue Your Passions” completely turned me around. “I want to be a journalist for a newspaper or magazine,” Abbie wrote. Her passion matches mine, and I almost felt like it was me saying that. However, she had a clearer outlook on the prospects of this career, and I am grateful to her for unfogging my glasses.

I was close to changing my career plans; many told me of the hardships that would come if I chose a path toward journalism. I know what it feels like to have others discourage my dreams, especially people who are close to me. It is hard to reject their advice – especially if what they say is true – and try to keep my eye on the ultimate goal. But I have realized now that sometimes that is what you must do in order to be true to yourself.

I have this article tacked up on my bulletin board so I will never lose sight of my ambition again. Thank you, Abbie, for reminding me that it is okay to have a passion that makes me happy, and, more importantly, that it is okay to pursue it. Everyone needs the chance to dream, after all.