MySpace, Facebook, who needs them? | Teen Ink

MySpace, Facebook, who needs them?

By Cody2 BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware
Cody2 BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware

In the article 'Not In My Space' by Sara B. it says that MySpace and facebook could ruin your future. I totally agree with her in this article. People are being bullied, harassed and sexually harassed on these social networking sites. It's bad what people do to each other on these sites, from people being bullied I've heard stories of people committing suicide because of the intensity of the bulling that goes on. All those reasons have made me decide that I don't want or need one, if you have that chance of those things happening to you. All the people being bullied on these sites, could have avoided it all by not having one. The people that want to sexually harass someone online and off-line, there is something psychologically wrong with them. When she said it would haunt you, I took it as, if you write something and it discriminatory, profane, and or sexually explicit content and thing that you wouldn't say out loud or in front of your parents, your employers can see it. If your employer sees any of those negative things it could make you not get a promotion, or make you lose your job, and at that young age you don't want that.

AngelForeverBleedingLove DIAMOND, Frederic, Wisconsin

You say you don't remember,
But I will never forget

people make these sites their only way to communicate with people. I go to school, and all I hear is "omg did u hear what happened on facebook last night?" why not just call the people instead of just posting things on Facebook? I understand if you go on and say hi to peeps you havent seen in a long time, but you don't have to make these sites your life! All that stuff you post is public!

magZ525 said...
on Dec. 20 2009 at 8:20 am
I am an avid facebook user and I disagree. There are always going to be some people who post stupid things, but that (and I don't mean to sound rude) is their problem, if they can't control what they say, then maybe they aren't ready for these sites.

I also think that these site can be EXTREMELY useful, because in todays world of technology, the skills you can learn/ gain from these sites are priceless. For instance, many people learn about movie and photo formating and sizing, others learn how to read and create HTML codes, and some them simply increase their typing spead- but that is still important.

Finally, you asked "Who need them?" I do. This year I'm living in Germany and I speak VERY little German. It has been really hard, because when you can't speak to people it is practically impossible to make friends. Facebook and Twitter have kept me sane this year, they are my main stream of comunication to my friends and family and, frankly, I don't know what I would've done without them this year. Also, as I began to make friends I was able to add them on facebook as well, so when I get back to the States, I'll be able to keep in touch with them in ways that would be impossible under other circumstances.

However, I agree with LOVECASSS that it is VERY important to educate people in the dengers of the internet. But, frankly, I have seen more bullying on this site- concerning people's opinions and work- than I ever have on Facebook.

lovecasss SILVER, McBee, South Carolina

"You can search throughout the entire universe for someone who is more deserving of your love and affection than you are yourself, and that person is not to be found anywhere. You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe deserve your love "

The abuse caused on these sites are uneeded. But, instead of quiting with the sites all together, we need to spread the dangers of the internet its self. Bullying is not only done on those sites. It's done everywhere. MySpace is how I keep in touch with my family and friends, so I wouldn't be deleting it anytime soon. But, telling of the importance of Internet Safety is really needed these days. Abuse is everywhere, it needs to be stopped.

Ashely said...
Ashely, Randlman, North Carolina

"Where's your will to be weird?"

in a way your right but there are things to prevent bulling and all theres other things. yes you make a very good point, i semply dont agree with it but thats just me

tytiana321 said...
on Dec. 13 2009 at 7:16 am
I agree with you!