MySpace, Facebook, who needs them?

In the article 'Not In My Space' by Sara B. it says that MySpace and facebook could ruin your future. I totally agree with her in this article. People are being bullied, harassed and sexually harassed on these social networking sites. It's bad what people do to each other on these sites, from people being bullied I've heard stories of people committing suicide because of the intensity of the bulling that goes on. All those reasons have made me decide that I don't want or need one, if you have that chance of those things happening to you. All the people being bullied on these sites, could have avoided it all by not having one. The people that want to sexually harass someone online and off-line, there is something psychologically wrong with them. When she said it would haunt you, I took it as, if you write something and it discriminatory, profane, and or sexually explicit content and thing that you wouldn't say out loud or in front of your parents, your employers can see it. If your employer sees any of those negative things it could make you not get a promotion, or make you lose your job, and at that young age you don't want that.

AwesomeNewt said...
May 15, 2010 at 9:44 am:
i don't even understand why someone would waste their life updating their profile, self obssessed much. don't you think

heMMhe4eva said...
May 14, 2010 at 9:53 am:
Yeah yu khan qhet harassed bht ihts fhun as krhap..!!bht iikhinda du c where yu r cominq frhm!!well dhatsx ahll folksz

lime921 said...
May 2, 2010 at 3:39 pm:
i haven't been allowed to have facebook and i've wanted to get one, but with this article and what people have said about it by getting bullied, i've made a decision that i don't want one anymore. we can communicate with friends face to face, not on the internet where you can say things to them online when you wouldn't say something you'd say to them face-to-face. I don't like facebook and stuff anymore even though i've never even had one. you've convinced me. good writing and suggestions!

horsie_luver said...
Mar. 30, 2010 at 10:55 pm:
I agree that you can harassed, etc. but nobody ever realizes the good sides about these social networking sites. It's a good way to connect with friends when you or they are on vacation. You chose who becomes your friend on Facebook and who sees your posts. And besides. Not everyone gets harassed. I've been on Facebook for a while now and I've never and anything like that happen to me. Anyone back me up on this?

alexisabbott replied...
Apr. 3, 2010 at 11:12 pm :
I totally agree with you horsie_luver! If you are really are afriad of bad things happening to you while using these sites then put your profile on privite so that only your friends can see anything that applies to you like your photos, profile ect. And besides if someone you do not know trys to add you then just ignore it and leave it as that. Every once in awhile somone i don't know trys to add me and i just reject. Nothing bad ever happens to me. I mean rarely i will get into a bad argue... (more »)

mary_blue356 said...
Mar. 11, 2010 at 8:13 am:
This article is agreeable.
Some strangers try to add me in facebook and they were appearing in like tons. I first review their profile if I know them or not. Then if I don't, I ignore their request.

JeanGrey said...
Mar. 8, 2010 at 6:32 pm:
I must say that your opinion, while valid and understandable, maybe a bit misinformed. Usually when people are harassed it is their fault. They befriended someone they didn't know, said yes to spam, or were looking in a place where they shouldn't be. Even if the say they are victims they should have just been careful and sensible. There are a million ways to prevent people from harassing you. The easiest way is to just delete the person harassing you. Say no to people that you dont kn... (more »)

A_Dreamer said...
Feb. 14, 2010 at 6:00 pm:
I have a Facebook, and I have been through a TON of Facebook drama.
Facebook does cause a lot of trouble, even when it's just with your friends.
The reason I have it is because it's good to talk to other people on, people you may have lost connection with.
But if anyone is rude to me, I just delete them as a friend and all is well again. :)

amorey5 said...
Feb. 10, 2010 at 12:12 pm:
I agree that some people may not need a myspace or facebook, but I have both. I set them both to private, so everyone can only see certain things. I also only befriend people I know and have met in person, so if you take precautions, like me, then the site may not cause any descrimination or something bad to happen. I just wanted to point that out. Other than that, I think this is good.

esist said...
Feb. 7, 2010 at 10:07 pm:
I really agree with you. To me, people should have something better to do with their life than hurt someone's feelings who might be on the opposite side of the country as you. I think people should spend time with real friend who won't hurt you and have fun, not have a horrible past that live with covered in guilt. I only made a facebook so that I could successfully do my history project, but other than that, I find it as a waste of precious time.

punkinzoni123 said...
Jan. 12, 2010 at 11:11 am:
Good article. People should always have respect for each other. Those who bully others are trying to take the lime attnetion off their faults and short comings.

pixie222 replied...
Feb. 1, 2010 at 1:56 pm :
Yes your right

808Vips said...
You're only focusing on the negative effects of Facebook and MySpace. I agree it's bad that those two sites can enable that, but from my experience, more people use the sites to communicate instead of harass. There's many benefits from having both accounts - like for example, if you're a struggling musician, posting your music on MySpace can actually help you get more recognition. FaceBook is useful for businessses. It honestly depends on one's perspective, I suppose.

hihihihihihihi replied...
Mar. 11, 2010 at 12:50 pm :
I think everyone who thinks facebook and myspace is a good idea should look at the facts... reread the article!
If u want to taalk to friends... text or do somethings that isnt so open to EVERYONE

horsie_luver replied...
Mar. 30, 2010 at 10:59 pm :
It isn't necessarily open to everyone. There are privacy settings and you can control who sees your posts. Also, you can delete people as friends if you don't know them. I agree with you 808Vips. I think it's a good way to stay in contact with friends when you're on vacation or something.

Angel*music*lover This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
people make these sites their only way to communicate with people. I go to school, and all I hear is "omg did u hear what happened on facebook last night?" why not just call the people instead of just posting things on Facebook? I understand if you go on and say hi to peeps you havent seen in a long time, but you don't have to make these sites your life! All that stuff you post is public!

magZ525 said...
Dec. 20, 2009 at 8:20 am:
I am an avid facebook user and I disagree. There are always going to be some people who post stupid things, but that (and I don't mean to sound rude) is their problem, if they can't control what they say, then maybe they aren't ready for these sites.
I also think that these site can be EXTREMELY useful, because in todays world of technology, the skills you can learn/ gain from these sites are priceless. For instance, many people learn about movie and photo formating and siz... (more »)

horsie_luver replied...
Mar. 30, 2010 at 11:01 pm :
I completely agree with you.

lovecasss said...
The abuse caused on these sites are uneeded. But, instead of quiting with the sites all together, we need to spread the dangers of the internet its self. Bullying is not only done on those sites. It's done everywhere. MySpace is how I keep in touch with my family and friends, so I wouldn't be deleting it anytime soon. But, telling of the importance of Internet Safety is really needed these days. Abuse is everywhere, it needs to be stopped.

Ashely said...
in a way your right but there are things to prevent bulling and all theres other things. yes you make a very good point, i semply dont agree with it but thats just me