MySpace, Facebook, who needs them?

In the article 'Not In My Space' by Sara B. it says that MySpace and facebook could ruin your future. I totally agree with her in this article. People are being bullied, harassed and sexually harassed on these social networking sites. It's bad what people do to each other on these sites, from people being bullied I've heard stories of people committing suicide because of the intensity of the bulling that goes on. All those reasons have made me decide that I don't want or need one, if you have that chance of those things happening to you. All the people being bullied on these sites, could have avoided it all by not having one. The people that want to sexually harass someone online and off-line, there is something psychologically wrong with them. When she said it would haunt you, I took it as, if you write something and it discriminatory, profane, and or sexually explicit content and thing that you wouldn't say out loud or in front of your parents, your employers can see it. If your employer sees any of those negative things it could make you not get a promotion, or make you lose your job, and at that young age you don't want that.

kittykat369 said...
I also agree. I also think that people get sucked into FB and myspace. People become obsessed wtih these sites to the point where they're ignoring their loved ones. The bullying that happens when you give younger people the chance to write whatever they wish is unbelievable. My advice to anyone, don't write it if you wouldn't say it in front of you grandmother.

TasteDaSkittles said...
i agree. this last year mine was hacked and they wrote very rude and predjudice things that will stick with me for the rest of my life.good luck and spread your thoughts of this!

LexiB said...
Oct. 30, 2010 at 7:49 am
I think that, as ars said, that you could eaisly remove someone who was threatining and tell someone in authority. I think, however, that most of today's teens spend  way to much time online. I only check my facebook once a week to once a month, and I'm not obbessed with.

kmb404 said...

I do not agree that Facebook or MySpace could ruin your future. If some body is getting bullied or harassed, either block them or delete them from your page. Facebook or MySpace keep you in touch with friends that do not live close. Social networks or good but can be dangerous at times. Most people will not accept a persons friends request if they do not know them. 

ars306 said...
Oct. 28, 2010 at 11:09 am
I don't agree that Facebook or MySpace could ruin your future. If someone is being bullied, harassed, or sexually harassed, they can easily remove and block that person from their page. If a person is in a situation where they have a job and are friends with co-workers, managers, etc. the person could stop posting statuses about discrimination, using profanity, and sexually explicit content. The person could also remove them from viewing their profile because it's their book and their space. Bas... (more »)

kkd303 said...
Oct. 28, 2010 at 10:57 am
I disagree and agree. I disagree because I have a Facebook, and it is a good way to reconnect with old friends. I agree with this article because I believe that social networks are not for bullying or harassing someone. If it is friends who are bullying or harassing the other friends, I believe it's time to get a new set of friends and leave the old ones alone. 

lph6605 said...
It has its pros and cons. One, if you're getting bullied by your "friends" on a social networking site, perhaps you should have better friends. It's your fault just as much as theirs. I think it's helpful for school when I forget homework or lose my bearings. It certainly doesn't harm anyone by simply existing. The things that harm people are the "friends" who take advantage of the website and you.

Cmg6604 replied...
Maybe you should be more responsible in school!!

samchichi said...
agree

MickeyH said...
I completely agree. I once had a facebook- last year- and I loved it at first. Then I found all my friends from my old school and I got bored. All I did was play a game and talk to my friends- but i have an iPod touch for that. Facebook I know from personal experience is pointless

matt's gurl said...
Sept. 8, 2010 at 10:19 am
Ya litgirl and Dr. Jones is right lol If ur not mature enough DON'T use it!

Dr.Jones This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

Like Litgirl said, if you're responsible and sensible about it, you should be fine.  You can always choose who to be friends with.  But still it does make it easier to prey on people. 

And an interesting phenomenon I've seen is guys using the friend lists as menus of sorts.  They pick whatever girl they want to "pursue."  Not in a romantic, fliratious way, but love 'em and leave 'em fashion.  It's sickening.

Litgirl said...
Aug. 7, 2010 at 10:08 am
I agree that this social networks can mean trouble,but I believe that's mostly if the person is not responsible and mature enough in the use of it. If the person knows how to behave in there it doesn't have to be such a danger. There's a good part to this social networks also. Personally,my two new best friends live a little away from me,they don't drive yet,so it's hard to hang out often. And they can't afford cell phones. Plus,soon we will go separate ways for college,so facebook is the easier... (more »)

KelsieYellow said...
I dont have a facebook or myspace and i dont plan on having one, wats the point i call and txt my friends.

MickeyH replied...
that's what i said! :)

On_It_Goes said...
 I agree with you 100%, and enjoyed reading your article. I encourage those around me not to use social networking sites by telling them it is just another way the government will find you. And if that doesn't work, I let them know that when indeed the government does find them, their ninja powers will be repealed. Try that on for size.

MickeyH replied...
ROFL!!! I should so try that....thanks!! :)

emmaj said...
I see your points, but 80% of my friends live over 500 km away so we all have facebook too keep in touch thats it, so we are safe and use in the way it is meant to be used. 

sambo said...
This is such a controversial topic that it was interesting to read this perspective from you.  I think you have some great arguments, but I'm not sure if I necessarily agree with them.  Facebook and MySpace aren't always used in a general way--often, people use them to keep in touch.  I use them to keep in touch with my family who live far away.  I think the problem with the bullying is that people aren't cautious--they put anything up there.  It's also important to "fri... (more »)

Beautiful_Dead said...
Nice article and i totally agree with this. And like AwesomeNewt said people who keep updating their profile are obsessed and it makes them seem like they dont have a life! Same goes to the people that harass others, online or offline. Are they really so bored that they want to ruin other lives as well as theirs?? Just Saying.