Not in My Space | Teen Ink

Not in My Space MAG

By Chelsea Jordan BRONZE, Canutillo, Texas
Chelsea Jordan BRONZE, Canutillo, Texas

I don't agree with most of what Sara B. said in “Not in My Space.” At the beginning, she wrote that teens shouldn't join social networking sites because of “cyberbullies, sexual predators, and the risk of sabotaging their own future.” Absolutely, you can't deny that these risks are out there. But then she wrote that “MySpace, Facebook, and similar sites are dangerous for adolescents who ignore the risks.” That's exactly it: there are risks.

You can choose to be stupid and take lewd pictures, or ones where you're participating in illegal activities, and then you can choose to be ridiculously stupid and post them on the Internet. Everyone understands that people can put your name in a search engine and find your webpages.

Sara also talks about cyberbullying and how it can make the victims “very upset and … feeling isolated.” But those who commit suicide because of it must already have something else very wrong; someone calling you a bad name isn't going to make you kill yourself. The point that needs to be made is that you need to be responsible, not stupid.

Bethani GOLD said...
on Dec. 6 2009 at 10:56 am
Bethani GOLD, Highlands Ranch, Colorado

Life is perfect until you sit back and realize how boring it is without risks.

Just because you have a facebook doesn't mean you can't have good friends who would be mean. I have a facebook and I have good friends who wouldn't bully me. The point is to only have friends who you know are nice, best friends, boyfriend, family, and good friends who are nice but may not be close to. As long as you know them and know they're nice, you're fine.