What's The Harm In Electronics During School?

Why is it a rule that students are not allowed to listen to their I pods and use their cell phones in school? What if these electronic devices are for a good cause? Here’s a better question, why can’t we use electronics at certain times during school? It’s slightly unfair and I want to address this issue. I believe that the “No electronic devices including cell phones and I pods will be stored out of sight at the start of period one,” policy in Howard County public school system is inappropriate and on the behave of other students we believe it’s an unfair rule. In my opinion cell phones and I pods shall be used in case of an emergency, calculator and for organizing. I pods shall be used during free time and music helps with concentration. Electronics should be allowed because of emergencies, organization, concentration and for educational purposes.

First Electronics could help in an emergency! Now I understand that emergency cards are provided for the authority to call in case of a real emergency, but that is depending on the situation! Emergency cards are used if a student passed out, having an asthma attack or even a seizure. Now an emergency card does not always work. what if the authorities cannot reach anybody on the emergency card? What happens to that student? Now if the child is really sick, having an allergy attack or even injuries; if this student is capable to do so than that student should be allowed to use his or her cell phone. Now I did an interview and I asked an adult “Do you think that electronics should be allowed during school?” The Adult responded “Yes at certain times though, not during class.” I also did an observation this was during 4th period! I observed a young lady, who was not feeling well, texting her dad because the teacher wouldn’t send her to the nurse. In this situation I believe this was an appropriate move because the teacher would not send the young lady to the nurse to call her dad.

Next electronics can also help with concentration. I pods can be used for many different activities if necessary. I believe I pods should be used for concentration purposes like for example a computer assignment. Sites like Cognitive Tutor, HSA Practice Online Testing, and educational game sites require I pods. As long as the I pods are not distracting anybody than it shouldn’t be a problem. Authorities attempt to overreact and not see things from a child’s point of view. I interviewed a student who agreed with the adults “It’s dumb for a kid in school to listen to I pods and talk on Cell phones, it’s also a distraction.” I totally disagree with her response. I also observed during second period listening to his I pod while working on Cognitive Tutor. This student, before he listened to his I pod, was not getting his work done and he stayed on the same unit. When I pods were allowed in only that class this same student was able to complete his unit on Cognitive Tutor.

Finally electronics can be used for educational purposes. Cell phones should be allowed when the student is using his or her calculator to solve an equation. Cell phones should also be allowed when a student needs to copy down an assignment. Like an agenda book for example. Students does not always look through their agenda books, but a student is always looking through their cell phones. The student should be allowed to use their cell phones to stay organized. I pods can keep a student on track in class, but only for certain activities. Electronic devices are not just used for entertainment; they’re also used for educational purposes.

To conclude I do agree with not using electronic devices while the teacher is teaching because it does become a distraction. So why not just let students use it in the morning, during free time and in the after noon? What’s the harm in that? We’re in high school and we should be treated like mature young adults. Students can handle using electronics when they’re suppose to. Electronics should ONLY be used for educational purposes, concentration purposes, and emergency purposes. Electronics again is not only for entertainment pleasures but also for something constructive. As I said before electronics should be allowed during lunch time. Electronics are not hurting anybody, so why ban them right?

Sincerely,

Ashley S.

jaydog123 said...
Girl I straight up agree with you. I am sick of trying to contact my family while hiding my cellular

Sha La La replied...
jaydog 123 you are really cool. KOOL KAT!

Lucy replied...
Mar. 22, 2011 at 8:55 am
I NEED PROFF

gap725 said...
OMG! You guys are sooo lucky that you can even carry a cell phone around! At my school, if they even see that there is a phone in our pocket, you automatically get a detention!  Not once have we been able to bring a phone, much less an iPod! Plus Im in 7th grade! -.-

English Teacher replied...
gap, you may not like it that you can't have a phone with you, but I notice that your spelling, grammar and punctuation are excellent, whereas the other posters have a LOT of errors. Maybe one reason you are a better writer is because you've been in a school system that understands that paying attention is class is important, and its very hard to resist the call of facebook or games when its on your phone at your fingertips.  :)

RedheadAtHeart This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I see where you're coming from, but unfortunately, not everyone is mature enough to handle being allowed to use electronics. I come from a town where a huge (and I mean huge) percentage of students are lazy and immature. Letting our school have free use of electronics would be chaotic. Until we can teach everyone to be mature and responsible (which is a long way off), free-range use of electronics in school is also a long way off.

Lizzie Rae replied...
I understand how you feel about the immaturity with the electronics

Jesusandwordsfanatic said...
you give a very nice argument and I'm inmpressed with your academic accuracy in your paper. ;) this is a big controversial issue in today's society and i must give you props on your article....however i do have to say that rules are made for a reason. If one person took advantage of the allowance of these electronics to cheat or anything still worse, then others would feel led to do the same and eventually there would be a LOT of chaos and disorder amongst the student body. what you say is true ... (more »)

MarissaLaGrange said...
Jan. 11, 2011 at 7:54 am

Cell phones and i-pods should be allowed at certain times, I agree. We have a rule where we cannot use them at all.

And the problem is, most of the time people have cell-phones for emergencies. So what if a family member died and they tried to call you but couldn't reach you? What then? You go to come home from school and no one is home because you couldn't answer your phone and didn't know what was going on?

Thats the way I see it, and music is a great way to f... (more »)

MarissaLaGrange replied...
Jan. 11, 2011 at 7:55 am

I see no problems*

Sorry for the typo. :3 And Sorry that it repeated my comment. v-v

Aspiringauhor said...
As I do not have a cell phone, I don't care really. All I know is, my school allows this (creative thinking). It can sometimes be distracting, although it is nice to have music while you're working... Just not during tests/quizzes. Be careful what you wish for.

smartchick118 said...
I agree with the cellphone/ i pod thing. my school doesnt really allow it but for a final project during school, were allowed to bring in our ipods. but why not on other days? some questions may never be answered...

JustTaz said...

While I do agree about phones for emergencies, iPods or mp3 players during test is inappropriate. What is it is built into a phone? ^The student could text or maybe even look online for answers. One of my teachers used to allow that but a lot of people abused it by recording their study guide and listening to it during the test.

Although in free periods or after you finish independent work/test and it is near the end of a class maybe it could be allowed unless you don't hear a bell or ... (more »)

cmb302 said...
Dec. 17, 2010 at 11:12 am
i agree with everyone else on the cellphone part. We should be able to bring them to school incase of an emergency and we are not able to reach the main office for help anything can happen at school or leaving off the campus so to be safe we need cell phones. Ipods should be allowed at school because listening to music during test help relax some students and at recess they can listen until class starts again

llamagirl replied...
I agree with the phone thing, but not so much the ipod.  You can hear music out the headphones, and that would be distracting.  I think tests should be off limits, but they should be allowed when doing like a quiet worksheet, project or when writing an essay. 

BubbiG said...
Dec. 13, 2010 at 9:11 am
I agree with everyone however cell phones should be allowed for emergency purposes. Ipods should only be used for maybe a test or a specific class work because some work better with music and others don't. As long as the Ipod is not loud enough to distract someone else....then it shouldn't be a problem. As far as robbery and bullying....people should hide their things in a safe place, like your backpack you carry everyday at all times or your purse. It would be not smart if you left it out in th... (more »)

Purple Starz said...

sry I mean phones. : )

BubbiG replied...
Dec. 13, 2010 at 9:04 am
This is true.....but for emergency purposes cell phones should be allowed...

Purple Starz said...
Although I woudnt mind having a Ipod in school, its nice to think of others. If the music is to loud or a phoine ringes in the middle of class it grabs everybodys attention, and distracts them from their work. It also opens oppertunities for robers and cyber bullying.

hahahaha said...
Nov. 18, 2010 at 9:18 am
I Have pudding in my toobsocks

Angel replied...
Dec. 16, 2010 at 9:32 am
slowslow LOLZ