What's The Harm In Electronics During School?

Why is it a rule that students are not allowed to listen to their I pods and use their cell phones in school? What if these electronic devices are for a good cause? Here’s a better question, why can’t we use electronics at certain times during school? It’s slightly unfair and I want to address this issue. I believe that the “No electronic devices including cell phones and I pods will be stored out of sight at the start of period one,” policy in Howard County public school system is inappropriate and on the behave of other students we believe it’s an unfair rule. In my opinion cell phones and I pods shall be used in case of an emergency, calculator and for organizing. I pods shall be used during free time and music helps with concentration. Electronics should be allowed because of emergencies, organization, concentration and for educational purposes.

First Electronics could help in an emergency! Now I understand that emergency cards are provided for the authority to call in case of a real emergency, but that is depending on the situation! Emergency cards are used if a student passed out, having an asthma attack or even a seizure. Now an emergency card does not always work. what if the authorities cannot reach anybody on the emergency card? What happens to that student? Now if the child is really sick, having an allergy attack or even injuries; if this student is capable to do so than that student should be allowed to use his or her cell phone. Now I did an interview and I asked an adult “Do you think that electronics should be allowed during school?” The Adult responded “Yes at certain times though, not during class.” I also did an observation this was during 4th period! I observed a young lady, who was not feeling well, texting her dad because the teacher wouldn’t send her to the nurse. In this situation I believe this was an appropriate move because the teacher would not send the young lady to the nurse to call her dad.

Next electronics can also help with concentration. I pods can be used for many different activities if necessary. I believe I pods should be used for concentration purposes like for example a computer assignment. Sites like Cognitive Tutor, HSA Practice Online Testing, and educational game sites require I pods. As long as the I pods are not distracting anybody than it shouldn’t be a problem. Authorities attempt to overreact and not see things from a child’s point of view. I interviewed a student who agreed with the adults “It’s dumb for a kid in school to listen to I pods and talk on Cell phones, it’s also a distraction.” I totally disagree with her response. I also observed during second period listening to his I pod while working on Cognitive Tutor. This student, before he listened to his I pod, was not getting his work done and he stayed on the same unit. When I pods were allowed in only that class this same student was able to complete his unit on Cognitive Tutor.

Finally electronics can be used for educational purposes. Cell phones should be allowed when the student is using his or her calculator to solve an equation. Cell phones should also be allowed when a student needs to copy down an assignment. Like an agenda book for example. Students does not always look through their agenda books, but a student is always looking through their cell phones. The student should be allowed to use their cell phones to stay organized. I pods can keep a student on track in class, but only for certain activities. Electronic devices are not just used for entertainment; they’re also used for educational purposes.

To conclude I do agree with not using electronic devices while the teacher is teaching because it does become a distraction. So why not just let students use it in the morning, during free time and in the after noon? What’s the harm in that? We’re in high school and we should be treated like mature young adults. Students can handle using electronics when they’re suppose to. Electronics should ONLY be used for educational purposes, concentration purposes, and emergency purposes. Electronics again is not only for entertainment pleasures but also for something constructive. As I said before electronics should be allowed during lunch time. Electronics are not hurting anybody, so why ban them right?

Sincerely,

Ashley S.

Aelita said...
Sept. 29, 2011 at 9:48 am:
Your essay is oretty goood, but it needed a really thorough proofreading.  There were some typos.  Also, the points were very redundant.  I agree with you on this issue, but I still had a hard time buying into it in the context of this peice, since you only kept saying one, maybe two points.  Try and think outside the box.

CLJCO replied...
May 3, 2012 at 12:49 pm :
You spelt pretty wrong.

JoPepperThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jun. 11, 2011 at 3:20 pm:
I totally agree with you One time I had to tell my mom that I needed to stay after school and the school's phone wouldn't work for me.  So I secretly used my  cellphone.  :O

walle said...
Apr. 18, 2011 at 8:55 am:

wow ur hot

treyhdujt replied...
Nov. 2, 2011 at 8:12 am :
hahahhahahahahah^^^^ 
XD

Nelie4show replied...
Jan. 11, 2012 at 1:24 pm :
XD LMFAO ^^^^

rockyrules said...
i agree with having electroincs in school!!

coolkid765 said...
at my school as long as your phone is not out it is okay to have but if you did have your phone and their was a real emergency i bet the teachers would be fine with you calling although i would like to be able to use my phone freely throughout the day their is the issue of cheating some phones have internet and you could text a freind for test answers

Madigirl12 replied...
Apr. 15, 2011 at 10:14 am :
i  think  that at my school we should be allowed to  listen to our ipods and cell  phones.

emmm123 said...
Mar. 24, 2011 at 6:37 am:
This is a great paper, and i agrre 100%

hubba bubba 02 replied...
Apr. 16 at 10:19 am :
next time spell agree right!

odalis13 said...
Mar. 23, 2011 at 7:18 pm:
I think it would be cool to have our cell phones out. I'm okay not using it in classes but at least they could let us use it in lunch. all were doing is eating.

Lucy said...
Mar. 22, 2011 at 8:57 am:

omg i need to hear my music

Ronnie S. said...
Mar. 15, 2011 at 10:20 am:

This is true but also just the harm of our cell phone and why teachers want us to put them away is because were not focesing on what there teaching us.

And so the teachers are only teaching us ofcoures.... but also im say that it would be a nice thing if we could have our cell phones out when the teachers are not talking and not have them say put your phone away or anything!!

7890jojo said...
Mar. 15, 2011 at 10:09 am:
I like this article because its true why do they not let us have our ipods or cell phones during class.

loms said...
Mar. 14, 2011 at 10:16 am:
good job

Lizzy321 said...
Mar. 7, 2011 at 12:52 pm:
HIIIII(:  girlfriend, I totally agree with you. Great point!

jaydog123 said...
Mar. 7, 2011 at 12:51 pm:
Girl I straight up agree with you. I am sick of trying to contact my family while hiding my cellular

Sha La La replied...
Mar. 7, 2011 at 12:54 pm :
jaydog 123 you are really cool. KOOL KAT!

Lucy replied...
Mar. 22, 2011 at 8:55 am :
I NEED PROFF

gap725 said...
Feb. 23, 2011 at 5:00 pm:
OMG! You guys are sooo lucky that you can even carry a cell phone around! At my school, if they even see that there is a phone in our pocket, you automatically get a detention!  Not once have we been able to bring a phone, much less an iPod! Plus Im in 7th grade! -.-