What's The Harm In Electronics During School?

Why is it a rule that students are not allowed to listen to their I pods and use their cell phones in school? What if these electronic devices are for a good cause? Here’s a better question, why can’t we use electronics at certain times during school? It’s slightly unfair and I want to address this issue. I believe that the “No electronic devices including cell phones and I pods will be stored out of sight at the start of period one,” policy in Howard County public school system is inappropriate and on the behave of other students we believe it’s an unfair rule. In my opinion cell phones and I pods shall be used in case of an emergency, calculator and for organizing. I pods shall be used during free time and music helps with concentration. Electronics should be allowed because of emergencies, organization, concentration and for educational purposes.

First Electronics could help in an emergency! Now I understand that emergency cards are provided for the authority to call in case of a real emergency, but that is depending on the situation! Emergency cards are used if a student passed out, having an asthma attack or even a seizure. Now an emergency card does not always work. what if the authorities cannot reach anybody on the emergency card? What happens to that student? Now if the child is really sick, having an allergy attack or even injuries; if this student is capable to do so than that student should be allowed to use his or her cell phone. Now I did an interview and I asked an adult “Do you think that electronics should be allowed during school?” The Adult responded “Yes at certain times though, not during class.” I also did an observation this was during 4th period! I observed a young lady, who was not feeling well, texting her dad because the teacher wouldn’t send her to the nurse. In this situation I believe this was an appropriate move because the teacher would not send the young lady to the nurse to call her dad.

Next electronics can also help with concentration. I pods can be used for many different activities if necessary. I believe I pods should be used for concentration purposes like for example a computer assignment. Sites like Cognitive Tutor, HSA Practice Online Testing, and educational game sites require I pods. As long as the I pods are not distracting anybody than it shouldn’t be a problem. Authorities attempt to overreact and not see things from a child’s point of view. I interviewed a student who agreed with the adults “It’s dumb for a kid in school to listen to I pods and talk on Cell phones, it’s also a distraction.” I totally disagree with her response. I also observed during second period listening to his I pod while working on Cognitive Tutor. This student, before he listened to his I pod, was not getting his work done and he stayed on the same unit. When I pods were allowed in only that class this same student was able to complete his unit on Cognitive Tutor.

Finally electronics can be used for educational purposes. Cell phones should be allowed when the student is using his or her calculator to solve an equation. Cell phones should also be allowed when a student needs to copy down an assignment. Like an agenda book for example. Students does not always look through their agenda books, but a student is always looking through their cell phones. The student should be allowed to use their cell phones to stay organized. I pods can keep a student on track in class, but only for certain activities. Electronic devices are not just used for entertainment; they’re also used for educational purposes.

To conclude I do agree with not using electronic devices while the teacher is teaching because it does become a distraction. So why not just let students use it in the morning, during free time and in the after noon? What’s the harm in that? We’re in high school and we should be treated like mature young adults. Students can handle using electronics when they’re suppose to. Electronics should ONLY be used for educational purposes, concentration purposes, and emergency purposes. Electronics again is not only for entertainment pleasures but also for something constructive. As I said before electronics should be allowed during lunch time. Electronics are not hurting anybody, so why ban them right?

Sincerely,

Ashley S.

myphonemytime said...
i can see no reason why im not allowed to listen to music in my free time at school what is the difrence from listening the and after school it is my phone in my own time no one could hear it it was not herting anybody my phone was not visable yet my parents are being called to school because i refused to give it to them. i was not even listening to what some peaple would call evil music like rap,songs with swearwords in it diddent even have lyrics in my school talks about sterotypeing i find th... (more »)

Taverus replied...
Mar. 14 at 10:20 am
everything in your argument is quite accurate. There truly is no reason for the school board to ban the use of personal electronic devices. If used in the correct manner, these items could be quite useful academically. For instance, if a student were completing homework and stumbles upon a question he or she does not understand, the student could use their electronic device, an iPhone for instance, and look up how to complete said homework. And there are other reasons how this would be helpful, ... (more »)

apples RESPECT said...
i think teens should have electronics to listen music during class

Golfish said...
May 29, 2012 at 10:01 am
during free periods, or ipods during independant work should be allowed. If you worry about cheating then, honestly, it's going to happen anyways asnd phones arent that beneficial. If someone texts during class to outside of school for answers then why ban it during free periods?? and music is shown to be beneficial to concentration

YozoraK replied...
Yeah, the cheating thing?  Yeah, it already happens at my school.  Phones are not required to do so.

Wordgasm said...
May 28, 2012 at 10:18 am

While I agree with most of your main points, I really couldn't read this article. It needs a *very* thorough proof reading. Each point should have a sentence or two, maybe even a whole paragraph, instead of making each point multiple times in every paragraph.

Effective use of punctuation was also an issue from what I saw. There were many run-ons and fragments. I also spotted a few places where the meaning of your words was changed by punctuation (or lack thereof).

Overall, you m... (more »)

Wordgasm replied...
May 28, 2012 at 10:19 am

*more

gotta love irony -.-

lTwist1607 said...
Apr. 23, 2012 at 11:06 am
i think that this is a great example for why electronics should be allowed:]

fly bird don't sky said...
yes,but they cheat on stuff and it is not good.

sadpie121 said...
If think that if a student uses the electronics in class, that's fine. Maybe a kid's grades suffer because he keeps playing games when he is supposed to be doing homework. So what? That's his problem, not the teacher's. They need to learn to act responsibly at some point, so why not at high school? The whole point of high school is to get kids ready for the real world, and in the real world, people act responsibly on their own. High school students need to practice that.

coolguy2212 replied...
Feb. 14, 2013 at 9:21 am
WE DONT NEED CELL PHONES IN SCHOOL!!!!! YOU DONT KNOW WE R IN SCHOOL NOT YOU1

my hp said...
Feb. 27, 2012 at 1:58 am
i believe electronics should not be used in classrooms.electronics are available 22 hours,only we have 2 hours in which we find a tellented teacher

jason123 replied...
well i disagree some people cant consentrate with out music. and also students could use there electronics to look up im portent things to keep up there grades and to study.

heather123456 said...
Jan. 30, 2012 at 10:24 am
i think students should be able to use cell phones because, when we see the teachers using them we dont yell at them but when they see us using our phone its diffrents. isnt it a free country arnt we stupposed to be free. and be able to do what we want like the rest of us.

Noble6 said...
My School also lets you have your phons on you but not out. But this rule should be loosend up.

love teacher replied...
I am a high school teacher and I feel cell phones and other electronics should not be allowed in school. I feel these electronics can be dangerous if used in the wrong content.

Lazygirl2 replied...
I believe electronics should be used in class because music calms me down.. and expectually when teachers are telling you something you already know or don't want to hear you can tune them out in my opinion.Also ipods have apps on them that can help you on work i googled it..haha.

5baby95 said...
I think schools should let the use of electronics in school but only in free peroids not in actual class. school is a place for learning, not just to goof around. I would love to listen to music and use my own phone everyonce in a wile but we all know that will not happen for a long time, maby even never.

Rangergirl replied...
hiney i totally agree wit yu!  If you see the school i go to it would be horrible and make  you scream that is wu2t i wanna do.  HMMM Hiney

cookie 123 replied...
Jan. 11, 2012 at 9:52 am
i like chees