What's The Harm In Electronics During School?

Why is it a rule that students are not allowed to listen to their I pods and use their cell phones in school? What if these electronic devices are for a good cause? Here’s a better question, why can’t we use electronics at certain times during school? It’s slightly unfair and I want to address this issue. I believe that the “No electronic devices including cell phones and I pods will be stored out of sight at the start of period one,” policy in Howard County public school system is inappropriate and on the behave of other students we believe it’s an unfair rule. In my opinion cell phones and I pods shall be used in case of an emergency, calculator and for organizing. I pods shall be used during free time and music helps with concentration. Electronics should be allowed because of emergencies, organization, concentration and for educational purposes.

First Electronics could help in an emergency! Now I understand that emergency cards are provided for the authority to call in case of a real emergency, but that is depending on the situation! Emergency cards are used if a student passed out, having an asthma attack or even a seizure. Now an emergency card does not always work. what if the authorities cannot reach anybody on the emergency card? What happens to that student? Now if the child is really sick, having an allergy attack or even injuries; if this student is capable to do so than that student should be allowed to use his or her cell phone. Now I did an interview and I asked an adult “Do you think that electronics should be allowed during school?” The Adult responded “Yes at certain times though, not during class.” I also did an observation this was during 4th period! I observed a young lady, who was not feeling well, texting her dad because the teacher wouldn’t send her to the nurse. In this situation I believe this was an appropriate move because the teacher would not send the young lady to the nurse to call her dad.

Next electronics can also help with concentration. I pods can be used for many different activities if necessary. I believe I pods should be used for concentration purposes like for example a computer assignment. Sites like Cognitive Tutor, HSA Practice Online Testing, and educational game sites require I pods. As long as the I pods are not distracting anybody than it shouldn’t be a problem. Authorities attempt to overreact and not see things from a child’s point of view. I interviewed a student who agreed with the adults “It’s dumb for a kid in school to listen to I pods and talk on Cell phones, it’s also a distraction.” I totally disagree with her response. I also observed during second period listening to his I pod while working on Cognitive Tutor. This student, before he listened to his I pod, was not getting his work done and he stayed on the same unit. When I pods were allowed in only that class this same student was able to complete his unit on Cognitive Tutor.

Finally electronics can be used for educational purposes. Cell phones should be allowed when the student is using his or her calculator to solve an equation. Cell phones should also be allowed when a student needs to copy down an assignment. Like an agenda book for example. Students does not always look through their agenda books, but a student is always looking through their cell phones. The student should be allowed to use their cell phones to stay organized. I pods can keep a student on track in class, but only for certain activities. Electronic devices are not just used for entertainment; they’re also used for educational purposes.

To conclude I do agree with not using electronic devices while the teacher is teaching because it does become a distraction. So why not just let students use it in the morning, during free time and in the after noon? What’s the harm in that? We’re in high school and we should be treated like mature young adults. Students can handle using electronics when they’re suppose to. Electronics should ONLY be used for educational purposes, concentration purposes, and emergency purposes. Electronics again is not only for entertainment pleasures but also for something constructive. As I said before electronics should be allowed during lunch time. Electronics are not hurting anybody, so why ban them right?

Sincerely,

Ashley S.

CalebG said...
today at 7:40 pm:
I totally agree, at least to listen to music. I have ADD ( Attention Defecet Disorder) and it does what it says, I have a BIG problem with paying attention. Yes there are pills and yes I take them but sometimes i just can't help but get distracted, listening to music helps me because it blocks out all the distractions. Have GREAT day :)

sammy said...
Apr. 7 at 11:20 am:
i totally agree kids should be able to listen to music when they write or whenever they want as long as its not when the teacher is talking or distrubting the class devices can be used for educational purposes.

searing_bowman said...
Mar. 26 at 8:56 am:
very intristristing this helped me alot on a assinment thx 

aesomeness1234567 replied...
Jun. 11 at 10:59 am :
yes but there is also another reason for why kids arnt allowed to have electronics first of all some kids cant handle the responsibility  so my point stands correct thank you very much

SallySunshine said...
Mar. 20 at 10:43 am:
I think that electronics should be allowed at school beacause I think it will helps us more in school. I mean I get the fact that there are some people out there who think that we will be cheating in school with electronics, but not everyone does that. If I were to be allowed to have my phone or iPod at school, I would use it to listen to music. Well that's just my opinion..... .-.

stand up123 said...
Mar. 12 at 11:14 am:
Tis is a very good artical and i think students should be able to use there phones in class because some music can help some students learn and helps keep other people calm

brittney said...
Feb. 13 at 4:35 pm:
the percent is 50% but there should more like 70% or 60%

LadyKrakenThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
My school has a zone policy that doesn't really apply to me in particular, but I know about it. You can use your phone at your locker between classes and in the morning before the bell and after the final bell. You can use your phone freely at lunch, even call people. Classrooms are considered red zones, which means no electronics, but some teachers let you have them so long as they are out and visible on your desk. Some require them to be off and some let you charge them. Electronics on t... (more »)

hunterblabla replied...
Mar. 27 at 11:45 am :
my school also lets us, sometimes even we r aloud to play games in class free time.

angelhearted said...
 i agree, electronics should be allowed on breaks but in my school the students are imature and so leave it up to them to decide whether or not to use it is a bad choice. my father is a teacher there and he`s the only one who allows you to listen to music and use internet he can control them but not the other students. most of the students have respect for him so they dont push it.plus our principal is soft so the students kinda run the school for the worst.

Billy the goat said...
listen electronics should be aloud. But in some conditions. u shouldnt be able to like sit in the way back and just get on instagrahm and text your mom. but lets say u brake your arm. u want to text your parents. yes of course the office is going to call your paren ts. so what u want to tell them your self really. so at the end of the day no one gets hurt.    

11111111110000000000 said...
ipods and other electronics should be aloud because kids shoud be able to look up and txt on ipods and phones  

LadyWisdom98This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
My high school is located in a huge educational campus that used to be its own school, but it got shut down because it was dangerous and had low academic performance. All 5 schools in it are co-located so we have get scanned and go through metal detectors every morning. For that reason, cell phones aren't allowed in my school. However, at my middle school, cell phones were allowed. We just weren't allowed to use them during class. But, that didn't stop a lot of kids fro... (more »)

Lovely replied...
Feb. 18 at 12:16 pm :
What does cyber bullying have to do with this topic

1234567890 said...
Maybe if there was less cyber bulling, we would be allowed more freedom. If someone goes home and cyber bullies that is one thing, but when they do it at school, it becomes the responsibility and liability of the school - they are not allowed to let that kind of behaviour happen at school and they are trying to prevent it.  Trust is like a bank account and although there are benefits to having the use of a cell phone at school, we have not always used it for good. Stop cyber bulling and may... (more »)

YozoraK said...
May 18, 2013 at 6:05 pm:
At my old school, I once got ISS for showing my phone to another student on the school bus.  My phone wasn't even out for a full minute!  It was riduclous to say the least. At my new school however, phones and iPods are allowed as long as the teacher isn't teaching or they say otherwise.  So when one is working on classroom assignments, they'll have their iPods/iPhones out, listening to music.  Even in my Chemistry class I will be listening to my music, even dur... (more »)

WriterHeadThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 3, 2013 at 12:11 pm:
i agree with you. during the morning and at the end of the day, students should be allowed to use their electronics if they want. and when it's during school hours, electronics should only be used for educational purposes ONLY!!!!!!! in my school, we use electronics in school, but only in the library. (iPods)

myphonemytime said...
i can see no reason why im not allowed to listen to music in my free time at school what is the difrence from listening the and after school it is my phone in my own time no one could hear it it was not herting anybody my phone was not visable yet my parents are being called to school because i refused to give it to them. i was not even listening to what some peaple would call evil music like rap,songs with swearwords in it diddent even have lyrics in my school talks about sterotypeing i find th... (more »)

Taverus replied...
Mar. 14 at 10:20 am :
everything in your argument is quite accurate. There truly is no reason for the school board to ban the use of personal electronic devices. If used in the correct manner, these items could be quite useful academically. For instance, if a student were completing homework and stumbles upon a question he or she does not understand, the student could use their electronic device, an iPhone for instance, and look up how to complete said homework. And there are other reasons how this would be helpful, ... (more »)

apples RESPECT said...
Mar. 6, 2013 at 3:52 pm:
i think teens should have electronics to listen music during class