Video Game Loot Boxes Should be Illegal | Teen Ink

Video Game Loot Boxes Should be Illegal

October 28, 2019
By ManWithKeyboard BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York
ManWithKeyboard BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

 I kind of agree with Braeden Kelly’s stance in the article “Video Game Loot Boxes Should be Illegal.” Although loot boxes in video games are essentially gambling with no “official” way to cash out - and they should be rightfully treated that way, especially with those that provide in-game bonuses. Even cosmetic skins are bought, sold, and traded for real money on third party websites, and more action should be done by companies or an agency to regulate and watch over possible gambling.

  However, I do have a gripe with Kelly's second point - that add-ons and DLC (DownLoadable Content) should also be illegal. (or heavily regulated) While yes, DLC such as item skins or simple features that already should be in the game do have children buying them in large amounts, developers simply have to make money one way or another - and with the expectation that all Triple-A games should be priced at 60$, it can be hard for developers to even bother working on both free updates and paid downloadable content without additional cash flow, especially large and free online games that require thousands to be put into server maintenance and the salaries of dev teams. However, although I do have issues with regulating downloadable content, I do agree with the fact that loot boxes should be regulated. Thank you, Braeden, for the insight for those not as informed on the situation.