Unconscious | Teen Ink

Unconscious

I can relate to Madison Bennett's poem "Unconscious" due to the real and raw emotion it displays. She talks about the secret insecurities in being "different" from the typical norms and how they affect they are on one single person. She beautifully and wisely explains how damaging these insecurities are. I’ve experienced many of these body insecurities she discusses in her poem. I put on this mask were I had to fake and portray myself as a confident and free-spirited girl who could care less about other people's opinion. That is why when Madison said,” contour your blemishes and go to school” that I knew I was truly damaged with the thought of other’s opinion and approval. It wasn’t until Junior year of highschool that I felt my confidence and free-spiritedness be real. However, I still have scars such as having to look “pretty” everyday at school that way I don’t look indecent and being narcissistic due to fearing being forgotten. These have become my defense mechanisms that I have to take to protect myself from negativity and hate. Thank you Madison for writing about this sensitive topic that is often shunned and forgotten by many.