Common Wavelengths | Teen Ink

Common Wavelengths

September 10, 2019
By maddierowe3303 BRONZE, Defiance, Ohio
maddierowe3303 BRONZE, Defiance, Ohio
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

The writing titled “Blooming,” written by Maria, talks about sexual assault and how she is thriving to become her happy self again. Her writing left me feeling reflective. Although I can’t relate to the traumatic experience the author has, I can relate to the way she feels. Maria explained how “No one, least of all the people who laughed in my face, will ever get to witness my accomplishments.” I relate to the fact that she’s letting her peers believe what they may perceive of her, even if it is not true. I reflected on this because I often let my peers believe what they want about me while keeping my honest personality to myself. I also have the same plan of keeping my success to myself, that way others cannot take credit or celebrate something I did independently, so I find that common interest fascinating. After telling her story and explaining her plan, the author describes herself saying, “I can feel the sun on my face.” After going through empty and desolate times, she finally feels as if her life is looking up. As a reader, I feel a sense of pride for Maria.