Feedback on “Say It First (One of Us Has To)” | Teen Ink

Feedback on “Say It First (One of Us Has To)”

By ellen-zomin BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York
ellen-zomin BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York

“Say It First (One of Us Has To)” by “Jordyn,” is a beautifully written piece about a 12-year old girl thinking about an old friend who, now, lives thousands of miles away. She considers being the first one to say something to her friend and wonders if they even feel the same way. The title of the piece makes the reader feel like the author is talking to them, personally, and giving them advice on how to handle a similar situation. The author puts us in the mind of a 12-year old in today’s society, letting us know they are not as innocent as we think they are. She shows us that even young girls can be up at 4 a.m, worrying. “Jordyn” explains how she overcomes the fear that her friend doesn’t feel like she does and builds up the courage to text her.

Everyone has friends they lost due to distance or being in different schools. In my case, it is someone I see every day, just like I have for the past nine years, except for the past two, some things have been different. We didn’t talk as much, didn’t say hello in the hallways, and just like that a friendship ended. I regret that. I know a simple text would change things, but just like the author of “Say It First (One of Us Has To),” I worry the other person doesn’t feel the same. The author states, “ I don’t know if she feels it, but I certainly do: that tense connection (or separation) between the two of us, waiting for the other to say something first.” In this way, the author relates to the reader and easily captures their attention, letting them know they are not alone. All in all, the author of “Say It First (One of Us Has To)” eloquently outlines a feeling relatable to most teen readers in our society and proves that whoever feels the same way isn’t alone.