But...She's a Girl | Teen Ink

But...She's a Girl

March 4, 2019
By eborgelt BRONZE, Defiance, Ohio
eborgelt BRONZE, Defiance, Ohio
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The article titles But...She’s a Girl by Jackie Kovalson is a great article that seems to mean to empower girls. My reaction to it was to be proud that she showed everyone what she could do and that she was just as good if not better than the boys surrounding her. In society there is a major gap between boys and girls  in how people view or estimate our abilities especially in the sports industry. It is widely believed that in the sports industry boys are superior to girls, but as Jackie proved in her article, that is not the case. I think Jackie worded it almost perfectly when she said, “They thought that because I was a girl I couldn’t make the shot as well as a guy could, or the chances of me being a good player were lower. That guys were so much better than me when it came to the game. That because I was a girl, I was physically inadequate to them.” To me this is exactly how we are taught to think; that girls are inferior and that boys will continue to beat us. It’s not always our fault that we think this because it is what we have been taught from a young age. I think it is time for a change. I think we need to teach the younger generation that no matter your gender if you do your best you can be the best, and stop putting others down because of old stereo types.