The Man Who Fell in Love with Death | Teen Ink

The Man Who Fell in Love with Death

By Ryleenikole22 BRONZE, Defiance, Ohio
Ryleenikole22 BRONZE, Defiance, Ohio

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.- Aristotle

The writing titled “The man who fell in love with death” written by Jacqueline M. talks about a man who is longing for something he only felt once before. The author’s writing left me feeling astonished yet amused, but also baffled and defiant. The author wrote about how a man was so close to death, in an inbetween. In this the man was confused, it states “ He was in the hospital but now he’s … nowhere. All that’s left is him in the bed. He’s enveloped in darkness but somehow he can still see.” The author, in my opinion, is trying to let the readers know he is no longer on the earth. After this is stated the man hears a voice but doesn’t see anyone. The author writes “ The man’s head whips around. His mouth unhinges with a primal scream. Standing there, in a hood of dark is a creature.” The author refers to the creature as “it” throughout the story. This it tells the man it is his time to go, but the man gets pulled back to life and wakes up to his family, but right before he goes back, It tells him “Ah, it seems they want you back. It’s not your time yet, young one. Enjoy what you have left.” The story goes on to say the man then lived his life in happiness and to the fullest he could, but he always had a feeling of emptiness inside of him. He sees It throughout his daily life, but one day doesn’t anymore. It is all the man begins to think about, and one day he decides to go back to the place where he once visited. The jumps off an illuminated bridge at night.

At this point I felt astonished that the man would want to end life just to go back to something he would eventually end up in. At the very end of the story the man sees It once again, but this time is different. It says “What have you done?!” The man says he can’t live without and needs it. It responds with “ No, you don’t. Do you hear the beeping?... They are trying to bring you back. The man says to let them fail, love me enough to keep me with you. It’s finals words were “I love you enough to let you live. You deserve the world, but I can’t give it to you.” This left me feeling adoration for it. It was selfless and liberal.