Feedback on “Ballet: My First Love” | Teen Ink

Feedback on “Ballet: My First Love”

February 7, 2019
By Maggie_Sansone SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
Maggie_Sansone SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

“Ballet: My First Love,” written by Julia Donofrio, is not just a heartwarming piece about the author’s hobby; it captures the significance of ballet and the impact it has had all over the world. In this day and age, most have become addicted to technology, unable to keep their eyes away from a screen and needing to be occupied. Due to their low attention span, they don't want to try and comprehend a performance, like a ballet, that has no words or lyrics. Thus, ballet is losing interest to many and reducing it to “an overpriced ticket for supportive family members.” Donofrio’s words convince us otherwise. She explains the backstory to ballet, how it struggled during World War II, but managed to regain popularity when the war ended and people realized it could distract from the hardships occurring. Sprinkling quotes from various books written about ballet, expertise is provided about the ballet culture and famous dancers such as Maria Tallchief. Throughout the essay, while including facts, Donofrio still manages to bring her own experiences in, conveying her absolute love for the art and how it has changed her life.


While this piece does an excellent job persuading the reader of the importance of ballet and how beautiful it is, I did not need to be convinced. I am a dancer myself and much like Julia, I spend tiring hours in the studio, constantly have to cancel plans, and regularly argue that ballet is a sport. I could deeply relate to the author’s experience and found myself learning more about the historical aspects if ballet as well. However, not everyone does ballet or even likes it, so not everyone can relate this easily like I did. This doesn’t matter though, because the way Donofrio gives fantastic and detailed descriptions, anyone can glimpse into the life of a dancer. In the second paragraph she writes, “It was waiting in a glittery costume, the counts of the music filling my head until - suddenly - my legs carried me onstage again…” This piece not only portrays the author’s love and passion for ballet, but it analyzes its history and drives readers to just go out and see a ballet.