“Why My Vote Matters” Feedback | Teen Ink

“Why My Vote Matters” Feedback

By verteniku BRONZE, Staten Island, New York
verteniku BRONZE, Staten Island, New York

Kimberly Hernandez wrote a spectacular “points of view” piece titled “Why My Vote Matters,” that speaks on the recurring issue in America where adults are unmotivated to make their voices heard because of the doubt that one person could make a difference in a largely manipulated government. She incorporated a mini-memoir talking about her grandfathers struggles and how he still managed to make a difference, even as one person. She wrote about how her grandfather wouldn’t be able to do these amazing things if it hadn’t been for major changes in the law, such as the Reagan Amnesty. She expands on why people who don’t vote are wasting a golden opportunity that many don’t get around the world. I could not have said it better myself - if you added up all people that dont vote because they think their voice isn’t being heard you would get an outstanding number that definitely would make an impact.

To those who say your vote doesn’t matter: someone who votes instantly has infinitely more of a voice than you do in what matters in this country. Even as someone who doesn’t get involved in politics, once I turn 18 and become an eligible voter, you’ll see my name on a ballot in every single election. Regardless of what political party or race or ethnicity or gender or sexuality you are, GO VOTE!