Feedback on Change | Teen Ink

Feedback on Change

December 10, 2018
By Delfina05 SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
Delfina05 SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

“Change” by Sophia Sagar is an exceptionally inspirational short memoir that teaches an imperative lesson. In this work of art, Sophia was looking around Best Buy for a new pair of headphones. Suddenly, she felt someone behind her, and thought it was just an employee. The woman happened to be homeless and was trying to get to her family, but the Texas cops aren’t very nice to homeless people. So she greeted Sophia because she was the only one who seemed friendly. This woman didn’t reveal her name. Sophia noticed that this poor woman had nothing, so she pulled out her wallet and realized she only had a few cents, but she still gave them to her. Sophia continuously apologized and the woman continued to accept her apology. She attempted to return the money because she realized Sophia was only 15, but Sophia didn’t allow her to. After a few minutes, Sophia thought to buy the woman a bottle of water. Only then, did she realize the homeless woman was gone, gone forever. Sophia searched all the nearby stores, but she couldn’t find her. This short story displays a beautiful lesson that people of all ages need to learn.

    This memoir has motivated me to help as much as I can. Even a little can change someone’s life by keeping that little piece of hope within them. According to Sophia Sagar, “So dear homeless girl at Best Buy, if this reaches you, please listen: You will make it out alive. You will do something valuable in your life; you did for me. And thank you. For less than a dollar, my heart grew so much warmer. You changed me. And although I didn’t save you, I hope I made you feel a little more human.” This concluding paragraph is mind-opening. It’s an excellent way to close this piece and it really shows that even less than a dollar can help enlighten someone’s life.