Feedback on “Musical Prodigy Who?” | Teen Ink

Feedback on “Musical Prodigy Who?”

By ellen-zomin BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York
ellen-zomin BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York

“Musical Prodigy Who?” by “Jill” is an inspirational piece that helps any kids, but especially those with traditional Asian parents. It helps students to understand that they don’t have to be everything their parents want them to be, but they can follow their own dreams and hope their parents will support them. The article talks about a student who has to choose between Orchestra or Journalism to take in school and worries about her parents who want her to become a musical prodigy. The author explains how she is forced to write in secret, worrying her parents will find out. She says that writing helps lift the weight off her shoulders and that she was blinded by the idea that she must change to fit the stereotypes and expectations of her culture. The piece offers an amazing source of encouragement for teenagers to be their own person.

Personally, this piece shows me that i don’t have to hide behind the stereotypes of our world anymore and that everyone can be themselves. I feel that expectations pull kids away from their dreams and force them to live up to what society thinks they should be. “Jill” states, in her article, “And as I type this conclusion, I’m reminded of how similar this is to my once routine of late-night writing sessions. Except this time, I’m not in hiding.” This quote shows how the author beautifully explains the struggles of people today and that some have to hide who they want to be to make someone happy. The author also states, “When I came into freshman year, I believed that being Asian meant continuing violin until I graduated, so I stopped writing to focus on music.” The author describes her personal experiences with this issue and captures the attention of readers through her explanations and descriptions of Asian stereotypes. All in all, “Musical Prodigy Who?”, with its unique title and mention of important issues shows people that nobody else’s opinion matters.