Feedback for “Saving Survivors” | Teen Ink

Feedback for “Saving Survivors” MAG

April 22, 2009
By Katie Cosman BRONZE, North Platte, Nebraska
Katie Cosman BRONZE, North Platte, Nebraska
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Emily W.’s article, “Saving Survivors,” was informative and interesting. Irving Roth’s Adopt a Survivor program is a great way for teens to get an inside view of the genocide of World War II.

We all learn about the Holocaust in history class, but if I could talk with a survivor and hear his or her story, I think I would get a better picture than what our textbooks portray. It would give meaning to this horrible period of history. Usually I memorize dates and names in order to pass a test. Speaking with a survivor would certainly bring more meaning to it.

Not only could the Adopt a Survivor program bring history to life for teens, but also give them an understanding of how wrong genocide is. It is obvious that not everyone has learned the lessons of the Holocaust; genocide still happens today in places like Darfur and Kenya, primarily for ethnic cleansing.

Emily’s article inspired me to get involved. I like that she included a website to find out more. I hope other teens will be inspired and get involved with this project.

Editor’s note: To learn more about Irving Roth’s Adopt a Survivor program, visit http://eev.liu.edu/holocaustrectr/.