Top Voted Health Articles

Here are the top voted health articles:

voted
#1
Fitting In This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
I wouldn't ask for a dressing room. My mom always asked for me. The evening before I had repeatedly risen from my seat and piled on excess noodles suffocated in meat sauce. Then I licked my bowl with the buttered garlic bread, leaving no... (more »)
345 comments
voted
#2
My Struggle with Bulimia This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
Being supervised by my 13-year-old sister is weird. It’s even weirder that she’s watching me go to the bathroom. Well, okay, she’s actually just waiting outside the stall. But I knew she would follow me, I knew she would wash her hands, and... (more »)
185 comments
voted
#3
Teen Drinking This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
Have you ever been offered an alcoholic beverage? What about someone saying “Don’t worry, just have one little sip”? Most people have their first drink by the time they’re 13. That first drink can be the start of a troubled life.... (more »)
158 comments
voted
#4
Turner Syndrome This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
     Anyone looking at me would see a normal 17-year-old girl with blond hair and blue eyes. Those taking a closer look would recognize that I barely reach 5'2". What my physical appearance does not reveal is that I have... (more »)
101 comments
voted
#5
Ban Smoking in Public Areas This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
     Have you ever come home with the stench of smoke clinging to your clothes? Or inhaled a cloud of smoke as a group of smokers passed, causing you to cough and choke? Neither experience is pleasant, and this is why... (more »)
28 comments
voted
#6
Beating Anorexia This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
“You can sit there. The ­doctor will be right with you.” The nurse gestured me to the waiting room. Come on, do I really need to be here? I'm not sick enough to be here. “Jane! The doctor will see you now.” Great … The office... (more »)
204 comments
voted
#7
My Schizophrenic Sister This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
     My 13-year-old sister has schizophrenia. This is uncommon for someone so young. Usually the diagnosis is made when the person reaches adulthood, but my sister has always been one to get a jump-start on things.... (more »)
101 comments
voted
#8
I Should Have Listened This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
     As I leave the house, my mom yells, "Put your shoes on before you go!" I ignore her, of course, and run out the door and through the wet grass. I can feel mud between my toes until I am finally at the... (more »)
8 comments
voted
#9
Organ Donors Save Lives This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
     I am the recipient of two heart transplants. My second was last year and now that I’m healthier, I spend much of my free time giving speeches, doing interviews, and meeting with people in order to educate others... (more »)
12 comments
voted
#10
More Sleep = Better Health This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
      Ben Franklin once wrote, “Early to bed, early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise.” People would assume that Ben also meant students, but schools start before 8 a.m. which means most have to... (more »)
12 comments
voted
#11
Tobacco This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
     It kills 1,200 Americans a day and 4.9 million people a year worldwide. It’s one of the most deadly mass-produced objects in the world. What is it? I’m talking about tobacco.Tobacco is the leading cause of... (more »)
2 comments
voted
#12
Obesity This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
     The war on obesity is beginning to center on adolescents in America as they grow heavier each year. Obesity is a serious health issue that has grown to epidemic status. Being overweight and physically inactive... (more »)
2 comments
voted
#13
On Socks This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
     Yesterday, I was a girl with two white socks and no self-esteem. I was the girl who wrote in secret, dreamed of tomorrow, and obsessively chased Perfection. Never second best, I pushed too hard to be a top student, a... (more »)
18 comments
voted
#14
Scoliosis This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
   Fifth grade is supposed to be a time when eleven-year-old girls go on their first group trips to the movies with boys, experiment with make-up, and dream about junior high. For me it was all that and more. By June I had perfected... (more »)
17 comments
voted
#15
Join a Gym! This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
     Maintaining a healthy lifestyle is not always easy. It takes time and effort, but workouts play a critical role and can help improve your lifestyle. Working out at a gym is fun and energizing, and often includes... (more »)
1 comment
voted
#16
A Healthy Lunch This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
     According to the American Heart Association, 15.4% of children ages 6-19 were obese in 2000. Greasy, deep-fried foods are partly to blame, and the foods can still be found in many school cafeterias. Experts are... (more »)
2 comments