Top Voted Health Articles

Here are the top voted health articles:

voted
#1
Fitting In This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
I wouldn't ask for a dressing room. My mom always asked for me. The evening before I had repeatedly risen from my seat and piled on excess noodles suffocated in meat sauce. Then I licked my bowl with the buttered garlic bread, leaving no... (more »)
343 comments
voted
#2
Therapy This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
Therapy is for the crazy. The lunatics. The people with problems. I don't have problems. How can I, the varsity athlete, principal cellist, class president, be sitting inside the office of a therapist? But I am. The therapist's office is a... (more »)
3 comments
voted
#3
Learning to Survive This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
“A sense of impending doom” is how my doctor described it. That said it all. I started having panic attacks last fall. My heart would race out of control while a whole lot of fear washed over me. These attacks seemed to occur for no apparent... (more »)
1 comment
voted
#4
The Antibiotic Epidemic This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
Imagine a bacteria that infects your blood, leaving spider bite-like pimples and boils all over your body, potentially leading to death. Imagine this bacteria is resistant to treatment. This is a superbug. Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus... (more »)
4 comments
voted
#5
Acting the Part This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
I could feel the judge's eyes on my face as I analyzed my body in the mirror. Good. I look skinny. My stomach looks flat. Wait, is this me thinking, or my character? I finished my piece and bowed my head. It was over. Is it really over?... (more »)
17 comments
voted
#6
Beating Anorexia This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
“You can sit there. The ­doctor will be right with you.” The nurse gestured me to the waiting room. Come on, do I really need to be here? I'm not sick enough to be here. “Jane! The doctor will see you now.” Great … The office... (more »)
203 comments
voted
#7
Life with TS This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
People stare when I walk by. I ­pretend not to notice. It’s not their fault; they don’t know I can’t stop. Can’t stop ticcing. When I was 11 years old, 16 letters changed the way I live my life forever: Tourette syndrome. Now, four... (more »)
29 comments
voted
#8
Baked or Fried? This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
Ah, the joys of summer: no school, getting ­together with friends, the familiar jingle of the ice cream truck, and long days in the warm sun. But those golden sunbeams are doing more damage than you think. UV rays can cause melanoma, a type of... (more »)
1 comment
voted
#9
I Went Numb This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
Bell’s palsy is a condition that involves the facial nerve. It means that either one side or the entire face cannot be moved. For me, it started with a numb tongue during summer vacation. At first, I thought it was because I wasn’t sleeping... (more »)
17 comments
voted
#10
Luke’s Story This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
In your life you go through those defining moments that make you who you are. I have had lots of these. Most are silly, embarrassing, crazy, or too far out there to understand. However, there is one moment in my life that stands out more than any... (more »)
7 comments
voted
#11
A Joke This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
Statistics blanket the Internet about eating disorders, dieting, and desires to be skinny. According to the National Eating Disorders Association, 81 percent of 10-year-olds are afraid of becoming fat. Forty-two percent of first- to third-grade... (more »)
30 comments
voted
#12
The 46th Chromosome This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
From the time we are young, we learn that what bonds humans is that we all have 46 chromosomes. However, this is not the case for me. I was born with Turner syndrome, a rare genetic abnormality where a female has only one complete X chromosome, as... (more »)
6 comments
voted
#13
An Unplanned Visit This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
The girl across the room appears to be 18 or so. Smacking and popping her gum, she sits cross-legged with her fluorescent pink toenails peeking out from the cuffs of her jeans. The tapping of her pen against the clipboard is an incoherent Morse... (more »)
21 comments
voted
#14
Aunt Debbie This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
Three years ago, on a chilly Sunday, my dad woke me very early, saying, “Joe, it’s time to go.” I grabbed clothes at random and put on a hat. My father, my sisters, and I left the house and as we drove, no one really spoke. We arrived at... (more »)
6 comments
voted
#15
Ripples This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
My own hands are betraying me. I watch the water in my glass ripple, and I know it is happening again. I grip the glass a little tighter, trying to stop the movement, but it’s no use. I place it on the counter and sink to the floor. The... (more »)
4 comments
voted
#16
Grandma This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.
Grandma told me it was cold today, that she’d seen the neighbors, that she needed to go home. But she’d been here forever, confined in a chair that tells her she’s there to stay. So she laughs as she walks through her brain, and... (more »)
3 comments