If You Let It... | Teen Ink

If You Let It...

By JacobF BRONZE, Ashburn, Virginia
JacobF BRONZE, Ashburn, Virginia

Living everyday for the moment because anything other than the moment will kick the back of your knees and watch you fall; will leave you vulnerable and scared of the horrifying possibilities that leave the strongest of us trembling--If you let it…

Living everyday with the hope that the future goes as planned because if it doesn’t, you’ll find yourself lost again.  The future will fill you up with fear, fear that this cycle of pointless sadness will never end.  The future will terrify you.  The endless combinations of what ifs will chew you up and spit you out; it’ll fill you with a stress that none can handle, and leave you dead--If you let it…

Living everyday trying to see the past as an experience that has shaped you for the better because if you don’t; the past will stomp on you and make you crumble.  If the past isn’t accepted, it will destroy you. It’ll make you get on your knees and beg it to stop.  It will tear you apart on the inside until the hurt bleeds through to the outside; it’ll take your heart out, crush it while staring you in the face, and drop it on the floor.  But worst of all, if the past isn’t accepted, it will leave you in a dark void of perceived helplessness--If you let it...

Living everyday, fighting not to let it.  And, the sad thing is, it wouldn’t be such a hard fight, only if it was known--life isn’t a battle that’s supposed to be fought alone.

I was inspired to write this peice because, nowadays, mental health has become a very pressing issue.  The prevalence of mental illness now in 2018 is way to high to leave in the darkness.  And I strongly believe that it is something that needs to be talked about.