A Worthwhile Misson | Teen Ink

A Worthwhile Misson

Today, the world is filled with many places that are suffering. For example, Africa holds ten percent of the world’s population; however, sixty percent of these people are living with AIDS. AIDS, Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome, is a serious and often fatal disease of the immune system transmitted through blood products. In 2005, an estimated 3.2 million people in the region became newly infected, while 2.4 million adults and children died of AIDS. As a charitable missioner in Africa, I would help prevent AIDS from spreading, start a school that teaches young children about AIDS, and counsel those who have AIDS.

Foremost, many people in Africa’s AIDS symptoms are worsened because they inhale unclean substances and suffer from malnutrition. In order to stop inhalation of unclean substances, I would start a project that got many people from all over the world to clean the houses in Africa. If these people lived in better conditions, they would not be as affected by the symptoms of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome. I also would stop malnutrition by collecting a group of people who could provide African citizens with food that is healthy and does not cause improper digestion or poor absorption of nutrients. If I could prevent these two factors, Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome would not be as prevalent.

Subsequently, I feel that children who live with those who suffer from AIDS need help. Coming from a family with AIDS, many children do not have the proper education because of the poverty in Africa and the high cost of AIDS. As a missioner I would start a school program that would not only teach children basic principals such as math, English, and science but also teach them about Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome. This school would be open to any child who desires an education and also would be free in order to help those who could not afford school. Opening a school would not only let others about AIDS but also increase the education and success level of generations to come.
Last, Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome causes many people to become depressed and often suicidal. As a missioner, I would act like God by taking those who have AIDS and talking to them about it. Problems are often solved by talking about them. The disease will still be there; however, those suffering will feel much better about themselves. I would get a group of psychologists and counselors to have weekly sessions in order to help those who are suffering from this fatal disease. I would also have priests that would share God’s message to them and help them spiritually overcome AIDS. Starting psychological and spiritual therapy with those suffering from AIDS would help lower the death rate in Africa.

By preventing AIDS from spreading, starting a school that teaches young children about AIDS, and counseling those who have AIDS, the living conditions for people in Africa will become better. Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome is the leading cause of death in Africa and needs to be put to an end. God says in the Bible to go out and do His work. I feel that helping those who suffer from AIDS in Africa is doing just that. I am only one person, but one person can make a huge difference in the world.