What Are the Uses of Birth Control? | Teen Ink

What Are the Uses of Birth Control?

Since the event of Trump’s administration removing the rule that made it mandatory for insururers to include birth control in their health plans, things have been more tense than usual on topics surrounding Planned Parenthood and birth control. While many people seem to think that birth control is used only so a woman won’t get pregnant, that is very wrong. Birth control helps aleviate and/or prevent or lower risks for certain illnesses.

One of many illnesses that birth control helps Polycystic ovary syndrome. Now, what is Polycystic Ovary Syndrome? Polycystic Ovary Syndrome, or POS, is cause when a woman’s hormones are out of balance. It can cause irregular periods, and cysts which, over time, can lead to more severe hormone imbalances. POS also can lead to other, more severe health problems such as heart disease and diabetes. Birth control helps women with POS get rid of the symptoms and it helps them rebalance their hormones to normal levels. It helps lower their risks of heart disease and diabetes that could be caused by POS. It can cause extra acne and body hair as well. POS can also create problems with creating and using insulan, which leads to diabetes. So many women help get rid of, or lower their symptoms by taking birth control.

Another thing that birth control is used for is reducing the risks of certain cancers such as Endomentrial and Ovary Cancer. Endomentrial, more commonly known as Uterine cancer, affects the uterus, beginning on the layers that line it. It can cause Vaginal bleeding after menopause, Bleeding between periods, an abnormal, watery or blood-tinged discharge from the vagina and severe pelvic pain. Taking birth control helps lower a woman’s risk of getting endomentrial cancer and can aleviate symptoms if she has already been diagnosed.

Ovary cancer affects the ovaries. Tumors grow in the ovaries and eventually spread to the fallopian tubes and the primary peritoneal. Sympoms can include: painful abdominal enlargement or swelling, abdominal fullness, early satiety (feeling full early) and changes in bowel or bladder habits. Birth control helps in lowering the risk of ovary cancer and lowering the severity of symptoms if already diagnosed like it does with endomentrial cancer.

Birth control also helps lower a woman’s or girl’s risk for anemia. Because birth control slows or stops period, since a woman/girl isn’t losing so much blood so often, it lowers her chance of getting anemia.

Birth control also helps with more minor problems such as; acne, premenstural syndrom, menstural crams and irregular periods.

Birth control helps prevent and get rid of acne. During the length or time that a period happens, the skin will produce extra oils, making it easier for acne to appear. Birth control helps regulate and balance the amount of oil produced and helps prevent acne.

It also helps with many problems that girls and women face with their periods. It helps regulate premenstural syndrom, better known as PMS. PMS is the term for the mood swings, cravings, soreness, weight gain, bloating and many other symptoms that occur from a couple of weeks to just days before their period starts. It also helps during their period with painful cramps. Sometimes cramps can get so painful that they can cause a woman or girl to get nausea, and become bedridden for the duration of their period. Taking birth control helps get rid of the pain caused by period cramps.

Finally, birth control helps regulate and correct irregular periods, making it easier for a girl or woman to predict when their period will occur. Birth control can also help with Amenorrhea, or a lack of periods which is usually caused by low weight, stress or exessive exersise.

In conclusion, despite many people’s beliefs, birth control helps with so much more than keeping a girl or woman from getting pregnant. While that might be the main focus of what it prevents, this little pill, or implant or any other form of this medicine, helps with so much more. It should be included in insurur’s health plans and should be accessible to all that need it for, some women and girls find it hard to function without it.

It also helps with many problems that girls and women face with their periods. It helps regulate premenstural syndrom, better known as PMS. PMS is the term for the mood swings, cravings, soreness, wight gain, bloating and many other symptoms that occur from a couple of weeks to just days before their period starts. It also helps during their period with painful cramps. Sometimes cramps can get so painful that they can cause a woman or girl to get nausea, and become bedridden for the duration of their period. Taking birth control helps get rid of the pain caused by period cramps.

Now you have been educated on the health benefits of birth control. What do you think of it now? Should it be included? Should it not? Write what you think in the comments.