Sugar

By , Houston, TX

There are two types of sugar, natural sugar, and processed sugar. Natural sugars are found naturally in fruits, vegetables, and honey. Fruits accommodate water, fiber, and even beneficial nutrients that make them part of a healthy diet.”There are some benefits to fruits, they contain phenols, a form of antioxidants that offer many health benefits including protection from heart disease, cancer, and other damaging effects of free radicals in the body, added sugars do not provide these benefits.” Processed sugars, also known as added sugars are added calories with no nutrients. Added sugars are processed in order to make foods more appetizing. Foods with a lot of added sugars add more calories to your diet and produce little to no nutrition.

Too much added sugar can result in, weak bones, obesity, fatigue, lack of concentration, tooth decay, and even cancer. Even foods we think are healthy, such as granola bars and yogurt is also manufactured with extra sugars. There are two types of “simple sugars,” glucose and fructose. Glucose is found in all foods that contain carbohydrates, such as, mushrooms, tomatoes, onions, etc. Glucose is vital to every single cell; it is also produced in your body and can be broken down by cells in the body. Fructose, also known as, fruit sugar; its main source is fruits and also honey. This type of sugar is a bit harder to break down; “since only your liver breaks down significant portions of it.”

Sucrose is just the combination of ½ glucose and ½ fructose. The difference between glucose and fructose is how much energy each one delivers. They also contain a pile of nutrients, vitamins, antioxidants and fiber. “When your body gets overloaded with fruit sugar, the liver can't use it all and it gets stored as fat.”

In the United States today, we are exposed to a wide variety of carbohydrate and

calorie dense food. As a result, diseases such as diabetes have become prevalent.

There are 11 types of foods that cause diabetes. Candy is not only a high sugar food, but it also lacks the nutritional value, is low on healthier carbohydrates and also causes a spike in blood sugar levels and contributes to weight gain. Pretzels may have a healthy image, but by looking at the ingredients we don’t find them that appetizing anymore. Pretzels are baked rather than fried, such as, potato chips, which saves you a few calories. Snacks, such as, cakes and pastries are commonly packaged snacks that are baked goods with loads of sugar. These packaged foods contain loads of sugar and interfere with insulin’s ability to function properly. Bacon is a whole-fat dairy food that carries good amounts of saturated fat, resulting in an increase of heart disease. Milk is high in saturated fat which is horrible against insulin resistance. White Bread is refined starches that act like sugar when your body starts to digest them and it can lead to weight gain. French fries are heavy on grease it can lead to weight gain and can raise glucose levels due to the heavy carbs and starchy ingredients. Pancakes and syrup are the worst choices when having diabetes because eating just three of them are equivalent to eating seven slices of white bread. Raisins may sound healthy, but during its dehydration process, the fruit's sugars become concentrated, resulting in a rise of blood sugar. Fruit juice may offer more beneficial nutrients, but they are still contained with sugar which is another cause of a rise in blood sugar. Even energy drinks, such as Gatorade, raise the prevalence diabetes because when people are thirsty, they tend to grab Gatorade, but it isn’t supplying any nutrients or fiber, so when people drink that Gatorade they, only receive empty calories.

The population of people with diabetes has risen from 108 million in 1980 to 422 million in 2014. This number only includes adults over the age of 18 that have increased in rate of diabetes population from 4.7% in 1980 to 8.5%. There are two types of diabetes, Type 1 and Type 2. The symptoms of diabetes Type 1 are: Increase of thirst, frequent urination, bedwetting in children who previously didn't wet the bed during the night, extreme hunger, unintended weight loss, irritability and other mood changes, fatigue and weakness, and blurred vision. The symptoms of diabetes Type 2 are Increased thirst and frequent urination, increased hunger, weight loss, fatigue, blurred vision, slow-healing sores or frequent infections, and areas of darkened skin. The solution for type 1 diabetes is to take daily insulin shots. These insulin shots are injected and are ready to be used whenever the body needs it. While type 2 diabetes, there is no cure, but there is only a way to control it. The way to control type 2 diabetes by controlling blood sugar levels, losing weight, eating healthy foods, and exercising. People may also take medicine or insulin if provided.

A way to reduce the diabetic population from growing is to promote good and healthy foods, such as fruits and vegetables. Fruits and vegetables are really high in nutrients and fiber. Also taking proper medicines or insulin shots daily may reduce the symptoms of diabetes. Staying as active and exercising every day is the best way for people to stay fit and healthy. As long as people exercise and lose weight, the diabetes problem should not continue to grow.

In conclusion, we all know the consequences of eating too much- added sugars. To prevent the health issues, we can eat natural sugars, such as fruits and vegetables to get the nutrients we need. If people don’t want to die at a young age, they should be protective in their food choices.

alexisthebest said...
May 17 at 1:58 pm
It's hard to just start eating fruits and vegetables because now foods like chip, pizza, fries, meat, candy, they are very addictive and we can't stop having enough of it

Xdragon said...
May 17 at 1:39 pm
What I don't understand is even though we know sugared food is bad for us, we still produce them and sell them out. I know its to earn money, but still, it's like we are killing each other.

1LonelyRose said...
May 17 at 1:15 pm
This was a super sweet article. #HorriblePun

Xdragon replied...
May 17 at 1:36 pm
*slow clap*

StyLish said...
May 17 at 1:14 pm
There are many people that don't listen to what doctors say about eating vegetables and fruits. Nowadays we have a lot of products that contain processed sugar and I agree that they are not healthy but people still eat it. I don't think that this problem can be solved by the government.

ThuNguyen replied...
May 17 at 1:44 pm
There has been a recent study where the sugar in fruit is also bad for you and that you shouldn't consume too much of it. Mostly in the morning.

Oswaldo_Ponce said...
May 17 at 1:08 pm
With the promotion of healthy foods will people just buy or simply just ignore them? People nowadays just want to buy things that taste good but what they don't know is that the stomach can't really handle of the sugar. And then again there are GMO foods that aren't real but taste just like the real thing. Examples of GMO is seedless oranges and seedless watermelons. Nature grows things and is supposed to have seeds in them in order to reproduce. So the new question now is what do companies but ... (more »)

PeterCao said...
May 17 at 12:03 pm
Most people don't care about what they eat as long as it tastes good. Will the promotion of good and healthy foods really make an impact?

jxordan replied...
May 17 at 12:14 pm
completely agree. Companies need to somehow make the foods we love healthy, but still tasty.

CharltonBibbII said...
May 17 at 10:30 am
This article is very informational and helped me understand how important it is to eat home cooked meals instead of fast-food.

KimberlyNgo said...
May 17 at 10:21 am
Of course sugar is dangerous, also fat too. People should be aware of how sugar is in drinks too like 39g in one can of soda.

nango said...
May 17 at 10:09 am
This article helped me understand the difference between natural sugar and processed sugar. I agree with all the points you made about the differences of the two types of sugar.

lynnsnguyen said...
May 17 at 10:00 am
I love how you bring this up, especially how it is a common topic to the human populations, although there are people who try to promote healthy food, it is not much effective. Is there any other alternate solution that will make more of an impact?

ASLanguage said...
May 17 at 9:58 am
Too much of anything can hurt your body. I agree with you that sugars are unhealthy but our human body needs some natural sugars. By consuming these natural sugars, like fruits, we stay energized and healthy in a positive way.

Carsafety said...
May 17 at 9:56 am
I agree with you and lan that sometimes you do need the natural sugar but not a lot and even processed sugar is bad if you get a lot of it like you said.

LanTo said...
May 17 at 9:51 am
I agree with you as well, but our body does need some natural sugars and even processed sugars from time to time. However, if we eat too much of these processed sugars then we could be risking our health instead (just like you said).