Euthanasia | Teen Ink

Euthanasia

By AndrewBranson2019 BRONZE, Tiffin, Ohio
AndrewBranson2019 BRONZE, Tiffin, Ohio

Andrew Walter defines Euthanasia  in his scholarly article titled, “Euthanasia should be legal”  as “the painless killing of a patient suffering from an incurable and painful disease.” Elaborating Walter’s definition, Euthanasia  is an injection which is given by a doctor, that will result in death of the person. Euthanasia should be a legal, voluntary option for a terminally ill patient whose expected to die in less than six months away. The patient should be evaluated by two physicians and a psychologist to rule out mental illness. Then all reports and charts should be reported to a judge for a legal ruling.

A person who is terminally ill and suffering should have the legal option to pass away in a peacefully manner. According to “Statistic Brain”, on average, 55% of terminally ill patients die in pain.  A patient who is terminally ill should not have to suffer. Euthanasia allows a peaceful exit to heaven.  “Statistic Brain” also reports that 54% of medical practitioners support Euthanasia.  Medical practitioners study ethics and practice to make their patients healthy and comfortable through science and medicine. Euthanasia, a form of medicine, allows doctors to comfort their patients after there is no curing option to the pain. Physicians are restricted from comforting a patient when there is nothing else that can be done. Theo A. Boer divulges in his Eye Witness report, that in the last six years, thirty-five percent of terminally ill patients have committed suicide without assistance of a doctor. This is a traumatic way for one to spend their last minutes on Earth. This is where we, as the United States voters, need to step in and make the call for an end of these unconscionable acts. It is time to offer, not force, a pylon to the kingdom of peace without suffering.

In order for Euthanasia to be practiced in an unerring way, we must provide safeguards for the patients requesting the painless death. In Andrew Walter’s article, “Euthanasia should be legal” it is expressed that in order for euthanasia to be successful at the state level of Oregon “...safeguards for the terminally ill..” is a must. In Oregon, the act passed to allow legal euthanasia.  The Oregon Death with Dignity Act has several safeguards, “a requirement that a second physician concur in the initial diagnosis of a terminal illness giving the patient no more than six months to live; a conclusion that the patient is of sound mind...” These rules ensure that the terminally ill person will make a voluntary and informed decision, but also be screened carefully by judges. This Act has been successful for twenty-three years due to these safeguards.

In some instances, voters are against selective screenings for mentally ill applicants. This is a patient who has a psychological disorder causing the brain to have a distorted mindset, and not able to make informed decisions.  A patient who cannot be sure to have received a safeguard provided as “Euthanasia should be legal” defines that, “ A voluntary and informed decision” is necessary. A mentally ill applicant can not utterly make a clear decision because of the psychological disorder.  In Boer’s first hand eyewitness experience he says that the number of psychiatric ill patients requesting euthanasia in the Netherlands is on the rise. Most of this patients he refers to “..could have lived for years or even decades.” This is why in the United States to receive euthanasia you must be mentally stable. It is through these safeguards that euthanasia can be administered in a safe and peaceful way.

Patients who voluntarily request Euthanasia and meet all the requirements, set by different safeguards, such as approval from a judge should be allowed the treatment option.  The judge should review all reports and make a ruling based on the findings. Euthanasia should be a legal option to end suffering. In this election, please vote yes to Euthanasia. This is how we make the United States less painful for the terminally ill.

Works Cited
Boer, Theo A. "Euthanasia In The Netherlands: An Eyewitness Report." Human Life Review 41.4 (2015): 61. TOPICsearch. Web. 3 Feb. 2017.
Morelock, Audrey. “Euthanasia Documentary 2016.” YouTube, YouTube, 6 May 2016.
Quill, Timothy E., and Bernard Sussman. “Physician Assisted Death.” The Hastings Center.
Seth. “Euthanasia Statistics.” Statistic Brain, Statistic Brain, 7 Nov. 2016.
Walter, Andrew. "Point: Euthanasia Should Be Legal." Points Of View: Euthanasia (2016): 2. Points of View Reference Center. Web. 3 Feb. 2017.