Considering Hippotherapy | Teen Ink

Considering Hippotherapy

By WispyBranchesintheWind BRONZE, Anahim Lake, Columbia
WispyBranchesintheWind BRONZE, Anahim Lake, Columbia

"Everyone deserves a chance to Fly"-Ephelba, Wicked

Research shows changes in troubled Individuals can be directly connected to Equine Centered therapy.

Horses are a center in Popular culture. They have inspired multiple books, movies, and various pieces of art, capturing millions of children’s imaginations. But did you know they also help us heal from trauma, physical and mental?

While Hippo-therapy, (therapy centered around equines), has been in the background for centuries, it has only become a mainstream and certified therapy in the last 100 years. This therapy includes riding, general equine care, and bonding relationships.  Previously facing scrutiny for being a “left-wing” technique, it has become a celebrated option for people who have forms of Autism, soldiers with PTSD, and many other afflicted individuals.
 A site dedicated to tips and articles about parenting a child on the Autism spectrum, has a informative article that highlights the benefits of Hippo-therapy. It states that the equines influence produces positive results that can be seen in a child quickly, and clearly. Increases in language skills, relationships, and emotions can all be seen.

Hippotherapy is not just for Autistic individuals, it is for anyone with deep health problems. Mental issues, physical problems, anything. Recovering addicts, haunted soldiers, disturbed children, chair bound patients, everyone can benefit from a horses touch. Each program is specified for a specific problem/disability. Each horse is evaluated and put into the category they are perfect for. For example, rehabilitated abused horses work with victims of abuse, giving the victims someone to relate too. While there are many ways Hippotherapy works, the main source of healing is the bond.   The silent bond with a horse and an individual creates a safe-zone, a relationship based on actions, not words. Since a horse is a “reaction” animal, it mirrors it’s rider/caretaker. If the rider is scared, the horse will become nervous, if the rider is aggressive, the horse will show it’s displeasure, and if the rider is kind, the horse will be kind. The rider must adapt and be aware of their actions in order for the relationship to work. Horses are also completely honest, they don’t lie, manipulate, or abuse. This honesty is what many victims need. 

In today’s world, teens like you and I are under a large amount of pressure. Anxiety, stress, and depression are common factors in many adolescents lives. Please do not go through this alone, there are options. Mental as well as physical therapy is available to you! If you, or a friend are in need of a program, I recommend Hippotherapy. A safe, controlled environment is assured and the benefits are many.  

I have Anxiety, and benifit from riding horses when they are avaliable to me. Their presence is calming and relaxing.  I recently learnt about Hippotherapy and found it to be a wonderful option that more people should hear about!