Technology Does Not Replace the Human Experience | Teen Ink

Technology Does Not Replace the Human Experience

By AveryP52 BRONZE, Loveland, Colorado
AveryP52 BRONZE, Loveland, Colorado

Humans are biological beings. Everything we do is a result of chemical reactions within our bodies caused by environmental triggers. Though it is a highly complex system, the fact still stands that every part of human life can be explained, on some level, by biology. Using technology to replace that does not enhance humanity, but weakens it.

When I argued this to my English class, they disagreed-- they said a human is much more than a biological being: to be human is to create, love, interact and evolve. Humans are creative and have a personality. Perhaps this is true; it is clear by looking at our progress that we have an advantage over other species. But I think it is also true that part of being human is the inability to fathom your own limitations. The connection we experience as humans is lost when we try to replace conversation with iMessage and when we define status by possessions.

In a special to CNN entitled “Are bionic superhumans on the horizon?”, Ramez Naam begs the question, “Will anyone be able to have their body, and more importantly, their brain upgraded? Or will only the rich have access to these enhancements?”

Naam is discussing the controversial topic of transhumanism-- the idea that humans can be improved or even replaced by technology. He is questioning whether transhumanism will move us forward as a race or drag us apart as the rich get smarter and fitter while the poor remain unchanged.

In the Washington Post article “In defense of transhumanism,” by David Vincent Kimel, the author mentions a similar topic when he admits, “With popular inaction, [in vitro fertilization] could lead to an unjust scenario in which fitness and intelligence might map onto the socioeconomic level of one’s parents. Legal restrictions on the selection of fetuses on the basis of genetic health, however, would be hugely regressive and counterproductive.” A generation of superbabies sounds revolutionary, but how can that be true when it causes discrimination? Humans have worked toward equality, but the likelihood of maintaining that progress is significantly lowered when a select few have access to “perfect” children.

Interaction and experience are widely considered to be human characteristics. Technology, try as we might, will never be a valid replacement for real-time experiences. In the New York Times article “Trying to Live in the Moment (and Not on the Phone),” Jenna Wortham informs readers that “a recent study by researchers at Kent State University found that students who were heavy cell phone users tended to report higher anxiety levels and dissatisfaction with life than their peers who used their phones less often.” This is just one example of how technology negatively impacts our health.

Through a screen, we can see and learn within seconds, but that doesn’t compare to world travel or conversation.

Recently, another technology has grown in popularity: virtual reality headsets. They offer a simulated experience of galaxies, oceans, warzones... things that people may otherwise never see. It also causes neuron shut-down,inability to multitask, and issues with hand-eye coordination and balance according to the Live Science article entitled “Samsung Gear VR: Virtual Reality Tech May Have Nasty Side Effects,” by Tanya Lewis.

Lewis explains those side effects when she quotes Mayank Mehta-- neuroscientist at UCLA. “‘We think when you're walking around in the real world, you're getting input from multiple senses, and they're all in perfect agreement,’ said Mehta, who studies how virtual environments affect the brains of rats, at the level of of individual neurons. In virtual reality, however, ‘the brain is expecting everything to be in sync, but things are not in sync,’ he said; the virtual world is ‘incomplete.’”

Humans have an incredible set of senses that, when utilized, make up nearly all of the human experience. When those senses disagree with one another, it is impossible to truly experience those breathtaking moments.

Of course, technology can help to regain lost senses and abilities. In his article, Naam describes a woman named Cathy Hutchinson who lost control of her arms after having a stroke. A device was implanted in the part of her brain responsible for motor control. Naam writes, “With that device, she is able to control an external robotic arm by thinking about it” from up to 7,000 miles away.

The practical benefits of this arm are easy to see: paralyzed who can still perform daily tasks, help in the workplace, etc.

But what about the flip side? If this technology gets into the wrong hands, it could be used to pull the trigger of a gun from across the world. Killing could become robotic, with no emotion or doubt involved. Imagine that.

The benefits of technology are fairly clear, but it will never replace the human experience. Each time we “improve” ourselves using technology, we lose a bit of our humanity.

I wrote this article as an assignment for English. I was surprised to find that I took a lot of interest to the topic. This article instigated several interesting conversations with my family and friends about what technology is, and how it influences our lives. We have benefited in many ways from technology, but there is such a thing as "too far." For example, the invention of homes were essential to humanity, but current technological advancements seem to be working in an opposite path. 

My hope is that this article makes you think. It definitely gave me a new perspective.