Body Image | Teen Ink

Body Image

June 6, 2016
By pixel123 BRONZE, San Diego, California
pixel123 BRONZE, San Diego, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Imagine this: You, yourself think about how you look on the outside, & maybe even your peers may wonder how they look on the outside. Some people at school make insults about how look by saying rude comments. Don’t you suddenly have negative feelings about yourself after those rude comment? Did you ever want to overcome that problem of you being put down & feeling bad about yourself. I am very confident I have a solution to problems like these. My solutions consist of 3 things to do.

It is basic, just believe in yourself. According to sirc, the media shows to society, “perfect body image”. The way they do this is through social media, TV, etc. What my point is just because we see a “good body image”, do we really need to copy that? If everyone did that, then that means everyone wouldn’t be considered, “unique”. So, it is important that you to believe in yourself that you have good looks. Don’t let the media fool you with “perfect body image”. Besides, you know yourself better than the media knows you. There is more than just believing in yourself, you also need to ignore those who put you down.

This part is also simple, ignore them. Don’t let their nasty comments get to the better of you by putting yourself down. According to sirc, it seems that other attractive people get less severe punishments than those who aren’t considered as attractive. Now, even though it says about attractive people, those are the ones who are considered to have good body image. What this means is that since “attractive” people are getting less punishments, means that even though this is the case, don’t feel bad about it. It’s not your fault, depending on the situation, the people that judge you & do it to be unfair is their fault. The people that can be putting you down is the media, & other people that are considered attractive, or consider them attractive. One more way to cope with this type is to not blame/feel bad about yourself.

It’s not your fault, so don’t blame yourself about having “different body image”. What I am trying to point out is, if you don’t look like how some people want you to be, then don’t worry about that. According to someone in quora, they said that when you judge another person, you judge yourself. This means people should stop seeing people that are good in a bad way. We are all different from each other, & that is what makes us unique. If in reality, someone says something negative about our bodies, & it turns out to be true, we should see it as a way to improve ourselves. Now, when someone just says something negative about you & it isn’t true, then don’t listen to them. You know yourself better more than anyone else knows you.

In conclusion, these are ways to deal with body image. One way is to believe in yourself/self-confidence. Another way is to ignore those nasty/harmful comments about yourself. Lastly, do not ever blame yourself about how your body image is. Hopefully, now you know how to cope with this type of problem.

 


The author's comments:

This is an article essay to help with the problem of body image.