The Social Stigma of Epilepsy | Teen Ink

The Social Stigma of Epilepsy

By EnnaR BRONZE, Provo, Utah
EnnaR BRONZE, Provo, Utah

"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if only one remembers to turn on the light" -Albus Dumbledore

Our world is full of many different opinions, beliefs, stereotypes and social stigmas that make us diverse but also insensitive at times. Many misconceptions, social anxieties, and embarrassing confrontations would be avoided if only people were better informed on the conditions, circumstances, or situations of the people they are judging. There are many stereotypes surrounding epilepsy that are not true but are so commonly believed that they have created a prevalent social stigma about epilepsy and those diagnosed with it. Learning the truth about epilepsy will help people better understand those who experience it and what it really is.

The Impact of the Social Stigma of Epilepsy

One of the best ways to understand exactly what the social stigma of epilepsy is like and its impact is to find out how it has affected epileptic individuals firsthand. Most individuals with epilepsy have experienced feelings of social estrangement, rejection, or non-acceptance. They worry about what people will think if they have a seizure in public. Even in adulthood, social acceptance and well-being is a big part of people’s lives. Many studies have shown that illness-related stigma can be more powerful and impactful on a person’s economic status, psychological well-being, social interactions and overall health than the actual illness itself (Thomas).

As an individual who has experienced epilepsy herself, Sarah Hansen explains what it’s like to deal with the social stigma associated with it.  “Because of the stigma attached to epilepsy, I, as well as the seizures, were easily misunderstood. As a result, it was something that left me feeling doubtful and unsettled." She also mentions how she felt as a teenager: “oftentimes, those with epilepsy are treated as if their mental, physical, and social abilities are diminished. As a result, my situation was misunderstood and mocked.  Kids my age made harsh comments, many to my twin sister, which left me feeling stigmatized.” Bryan Farley reports feeling invisible because of epilepsy.  "When people learn I have epilepsy, they put me into a different category - I am seen as less," he says (Bowers). At some point or another most epileptic individuals have been negatively influenced or have even suffered from some form of social stigma as a result of their diagnosis. Whatever level of intensity they’ve experienced discrimination or injustice because of their condition, most epileptics can attest to the fact that it is a real stigma and it is a real problem.

Common Misconceptions about Epilepsy
What are the reasons behinds behind such a prevalent social stigma? Why do people continually have a negative view of epilepsy and the people who have it? There are many misconceptions about epilepsy that are widely accepted simply because most of the world is uneducated about it. Epilepsy has an infamous history of misunderstanding and social discrimination. For a long time, nobody knew that epilepsy was a physiological disorder rather than a psychological (mental) disorder. And although we now know much more medically about epilepsy, the general uninformed public often still perceives a seizure as a mark of a mentally incapable individual and therefore categorizes them as socially inferior (see “Overcoming the Stigma of Epilepsy, para. 3-4). As Rajendra Kale put it, “The history of epilepsy can be summarised as 4000 years of ignorance, superstition, and stigma followed by 100 years of knowledge, superstition, and stigma. Knowing that seizures result from sudden, excessive, abnormal electrical discharges of a set of neurones in the brain has done little to dispel misunderstanding about epilepsy in most of the world…Epilepsy remains a hidden disease associated with discrimination in the work place, school, and home.”

One of the most common misconceptions about epilepsy is that it is a mental illness and that individuals who have it have mental disabilities such as developmental delay (Bowers). The truth is that most individuals diagnosed with epilepsy are only affected physiologically and are otherwise just as intelligent and capable as anyone else. The stigmatic effects of having epilepsy may make the patient more prone to depression, anxiety, and other emotional problems. But simply because someone has epilepsy does not usually mean they have mental issues or incapabilities. (Bowers).  “Epilepsy is an umbrella term covering about twenty different types of seizure disorders. It is a functional, physical problem, not a mental one” (EAES).
Another common misconception about epilepsy is that it is contagious. This sadly mistaken belief is likely another reason why people may fear, isolate, or be repelled by people who have epilepsy or seizures. Epilepsy is not contagious or infectious in any way. In most cases of diagnosis, doctors are unsure of the cause for developing epilepsy (Epilepsy). Seizures occur because of an imbalance of activity in the brain cells (Schachter). There’s just no way that it can be passed from person to person. Epilepsy can be inherited, but the chances that an epileptic adult will pass epilepsy on to their child are slight (*Schachter).

In many cases, employers also look at epilepsy in a bad light. Oftentimes an employer may believe that epilepsy disqualifies a potential employee for work. There is statistical proof of this as studies have shown that only 47% of epileptic adults are employed (Brown).  It is illegal and considered discrimination in the U.S. if an employer refuses to hire or fires an individual because the job-seeker reports having epilepsy or a history of seizures (USA). And in most cases, there really is no reason why an epileptic individual cannot function normally in the workplace. "Although some individuals may have restrictions - such as driving, lifting heavy objects, or climbing ladders - many people with epilepsy are able to successfully work," (Bowers). 

Educating The World on Epilepsy

As is evident, there is a need for the general public to be better informed on epilepsy. People need to know what it is, why it happens, how it affects individuals with the disorder, and how they can help. The world would be a much kinder and more understanding place for epileptics if employers, colleagues, classmates, and peers dispelled the social stigma surrounding epilepsy and reached out to treat those with epilepsy as equals. The best place to start in creating this positive change is to educate others about epilepsy so that they can have a more accepting view of it. It is the belief of the Epilepsy Foundation of America that “the more everyone talks about epilepsy, the less people living with the condition have to fear discrimination, worry about receiving improper first aid, or keep their epilepsy hidden in the shadows.” (Public Awareness). Many organizations and individuals throughout the country and the world have been working to educate students of all ages, families, and adults about epilepsy and how to respond to seizures in the hopes that the many misconceptions, superstitions, and negative views about epilepsy can be replaced with a positive understanding and acceptance of the condition and people who have it.

Epilepsy affects about 65 million people worldwide, 3 million of that number right here in the U.S. (Epilepsy Facts). It’s not as uncommon as many think it is. It’s a sad fact that the average person, whether a youth or an adult, knows very little, if anything at all, about this neurological disorder. That’s why many are now trying to inform schools, communities, and the people around them about epilepsy. Many individuals who have dealt with it and have experienced the stigmatism attached to it are now devoting their time to advocating epilepsy awareness and helping others with epilepsy feel less alone and alienated. Although the stigma of epilepsy is a widespread social issue that we face today, it can be overcome and diminished by learning more about epilepsy, treating epileptic individuals with respect and acceptance, and encouraging others to see epilepsy as a condition that doesn’t make a person any less than anyone else.

Works Cited

Thomas, Sanjeev V. and Aparna Nair. “Confronting the stigma of epilepsy”. Annals of Indian Academy of Neurology. July-September 2011. Web. 24 March 2015.

Hansen, Sarah. Personal Interview. 24 Mar. 2015.

Bowers, Elizabeth Shimer. “Overcoming the Stigma of Epilepsy”. Everyday Health. Everyday Health Media, Last Updated 28 June 2013. Web. 25 March 2015.

Kale, Rajendra. “Bringing epilepsy out of the shadows”. thebmj. BMJ, 05 July 1997. Web. 26 March 2015.

“Common Myths and Misunderstandings About Epilepsy”. Epilepsy Association of the Eastern Shore (EAES). n.d. Web. 28 March 2015.

Schachter, Steven C., Patricia O. Shafer and Joseph I. Sirven. “What is A Seizure?”. Epilepsy Foundation. Epilepsy Foundation, March 2014. Web. 28 March 2015.

“Epilepsy”. Human Illnesses and Behavioral Health. n.d. Web. 28 March 2015.

*Schachter, Steven C., Patricia O. Shafer and Joseph I. Sirven. “Is Epilepsy Inherited?” Epilepsy Foundation. Epilepsy Foundation, July 2013. Web. 28 March 2015. 

USA.“Questions and Answers about Epilepsy in the Workplace and the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)”. U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. n.d. Web. 30 March 2015.

Brown, K. “The Hidden Stigmas of Chronic Illness” (2007). Centre for Citizenship and Human Rights, Occasional paper no. 97.

“Public Awareness”. Epilepsy Foundation. Epilepsy Foundation, n.d. Web. 30 March 2015.

“Epilepsy Facts”. CURE. CURE, n.d. Web. 30 March 2015.

I wrote this article for a school assignment. I didn't realize how much I would learn or how big of an issue this social stigma behind epilepsy really is until I had the opportunity to write this. I think these kinds of problems, misconceptions, and stigmas are very prevalenr with many rare health conditions such as epilepsy simply because people are uninformed. I hope this article can be an eye-opener to inform people about epilepsy and, if nothing else, to help people to remember to be compassionate, considerate and kind in any situation where they may not understand a person's condition or circumstances.