Dying to Be Thin | Teen Ink

Dying to Be Thin

Did you know that younger females and women are more likely to struggle with anorexia than younger males and men?  In fact, 90-95% of the people who struggle with anorexia are younger females and women.  You are probably wondering what anorexia is exactly and why it affects females more often than males, right? 
While watching T.V., flipping through the latest fashion magazines, or even attending a fashion show, many dangerously thin men and women will often be seen.  Sadly a thin, boney figure is the typical stereotype of this generation.  Women are highly influenced by these very thin models and wish to look just like them, but these women don’t understand the reality of being a thin model.

Some women are more likely to suffer with anorexia because they may feel insecure about themselves or don’t feel confident with their own body’s.  Some women may also have experienced serious traumas in their lives or have been pressured by their friends, or even family.  In fact, anorexia is one of the highest death rates when it comes to mental health conditions.

Many models who are very thin, struggle with anorexia.  A well-known model who passed away from anorexia early in life, was Bethaney Wallace.  She began her modeling career at age twelve and was featured in magazines such as Girl Talk, Make It Groovy, and Pop Girl. 

Sadly, at such a young age she believed that she wasn’t attractive.  She thought that no guys would like her because of the way she looked; she thought she was overweight.  By the time she was sixteen, she was diagnosed with anorexia and bulimia, a disease where overeating to avoid gaining weight occurs.  Her struggle with anorexia and bulimia slowly weakened her heart, which eventually resulted to her death. 
By age eighteen, she passed away in her sleep while she was visiting her grandmother.  After further examination of her body, paramedics discovered that her blood sugar was too low.  At that point in her life, she was getting her life back on track by going to counseling and setting up meal plans.

Her parents said some very powerful comments during an interview that we, as a society, need to hear such as, “She would say she was fat, but she was so beautiful – she didn't realize how beautiful she was. She had up days and down days. It was like Jekyll and Hyde.”

Her parents also spoke about how she lost her self-esteem, which slowly tore her apart.  One comment her parents made that would be really hard for any parent to hear is, “It was like watching your child slowly die.” 

Sadly, many of us don’t realize the impact anorexia can have; thousands of people die every day from this disease. Many young women and men want to be like the models, but they don’t understand the reality of it.  Unfortunately, Bethaney Wallace, was taken from this world at such a young age, along with many others.
Not only can men and women struggle with anorexia or be influenced by models, children can too.  Children as early as age eight can even struggle with anorexia.  At such young ages, children are influenced by the people in their T.V. shows, younger models, or even the toys they play with, especially Barbie’s.  The Barbie’s unrealistic, thin body figure has influenced many young females and males to attempt to resemble the unrealistic toy.  Although this may be every child’s dream at first, they don’t understand the surgical procedures they will need to endure in order to proceed with their dream.

Anorexia, also known as anorexia nervosa, is an eating disorder that causes a people to constantly obsess about their weight and what they eat.  Anorexia can occur when environmental stress or has psychological problems are experienced.  It can also even be inherited.

There are two major types of anorexia that are often diagnosed.  The two major types of anorexia are Anorexia Nervosa Binge and Restrictive Anorexia.  Patients that are diagnosed with Restrictive Anorexia, limit the amount of food they can eat and slowly starves themselves.

A severe type of anorexia is called Anorexia Nervosa Binge.  This type is often diagnosed when they find themselves binging on large amounts of food, typically junk food.  After they eat, they will make themselves throw up or even use laxatives to ensure they lose all possible weight they could have gained. 
Since many people suffer from anorexia, it is important to know the symptoms because anorexia can come in many different forms. Those who are suffering can show several distinct signs of the disease.  Some of the early signs of anorexia are brittle nails, being easily bruised, depression, dry hair, dry skin, constant headaches, fatigue, or excessively exercising.

As time goes on, those who struggle with anorexia will suffer from dehydration, dizziness, fainting regularly from low intake of food, low blood pressure, or feeling cold constantly from a low body temperature.  Once the condition has gotten serious, they will show signs of, or even have a distorted body image, vomiting, or constipation. The symptoms and conditions of those who suffer with this eating disorder can suffer for several years or even their whole life.

Once these symptoms are experienced, it is important for them to receive medical help immediately.  For those who are suffering severely, medical help is their only option for recovery because they are suffering mentally and can no longer recover on their own.  However, there are several ways to recover from this condition. 

One way of recovering is by going to counseling because anorexia is a very mental disease.  It is important for them to attend counseling to rebuild their self-esteem.  Usually, when anorexia is experienced, they lose all of their self-esteem.  This makes it very hard for them to recover, which is why seeking medical help right away is important.

Another way of recovering from anorexia, is to set up a strict recovery meal plan.  Before a recovery meal is set up, a Registered Dietitian will need to be seen.  After seeing the Dietitian, they will usually start with three meals a day, along with three snacks each day as well.  These meals should be eaten about every three hours every day. 

One of the last ways of recovering from anorexia, is by being put on medication.  This usually is a last resort because most medical professionals want to take the healthy approach of getting patients back on track towards a healthy life style.  Some of the most common medications that are taken by those who struggle with anorexia are: Zyprexa, Celexa, or Prozac.  These medications mainly help with the mental side of the disease.  Some symptoms that the medications will help with are controlling mood swings, appetite, energy level, sleep, anxiety, or even panic attacks. 

If those who are suffering mentally have low self-esteem or feel insecure about their bodies, it’s important to be there for them while they recover.  If you know someone who is struggling with anorexia, try and help them rebuild their self-esteem.  If you can’t help them recover, then getting medical help for them is very important.

Even though we live in a world where being thin is completely normal, there is a difference between being thin, and anorexic.  Some people may think anorexia is a joke, but death and starvation is not a joking matter.

Many people all over the world who are suffering from anorexia, are struggling both mentally and physically. Thousands of people die daily from this severe condition. If we all come together to help either ourselves, or our loved ones who struggle with an eating disorder, we can put an end to the suffering.

I had a friend that struggled with anorexia ever since she was a little girl.  I have always been interested in learning more about anorexia, so when my teacher began out writing workshop unit, I figured this would be the perfect oppourtunity to learn more.