Cartoons | Teen Ink

Cartoons

April 26, 2016
By KathlynCosta BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey
KathlynCosta BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Do you always know what your young children are watching on television? No one can monitor their child 24/7. We don’t know if these shows are hurting children’s brains and development, or providing the child with knowledge and good morals. Most children spend hours watching television each day; therefore, many effects can occur. According to research, young children should not view cartoons because it decreases cognitive function, attention span and increases violence.

 

To begin, young children should not watch cartoons because it decreases cognitive function. It was found that four-year-olds who watched “Spongebob SquarePants” on television did worse on problem-solving and attention tests. The children who watched more educational programs scored better (Rabin). The educational shows are benefiting the children while the cartoons are hurting the children's ability to problem solve. Another study of research was done by Angeline S. Lillard, a professor of psychology at the University of Virginia and an author,  she stated that “The children who watched the cartoon were operating at half the capacity compared to other children” (Rabin). The children watching the cartoons were noticeably behind the other children who do not watch cartoons. Also, a new study shows that after watching Spongebob for just nine minutes can cause many other problems in learning (Associated Press). What if young children did not watch cartoons? Would they be smarter? Once again, according to the research, young children should not watch cartoons because it decreases cognitive function.


Children should not view cartoons because it decreases attention span. “The scientists involved in the study measured the accuracy of kids' responses to questions measuring their attention and cognition after 9 minutes of watching a fast-paced cartoon (SpongeBob, whose screen changes every 5 seconds) or after 9 minutes of drawing. They concluded that the kids' responses varied between the 2 groups (were what we call 'statistically significant') with the former group showing giving fewer correct responses than the latter”  (Maltz). The children’s attention span was tested and it was found that the attention span was worse than the other kids who did not watch “Spongebob”. “[...] while it does stimulate the auditory and visual parts of the brain, does not recruit the same degree of neurons (brain cells) and therefore would not significantly improve a child's cognition or attention” (Maltz). Cartoons do not help brain cells, so they would not help with a child’s attention problem. “Delhi-based psychologist Dr. Aruna Broota said, ‘Frequent television viewing leads to attention problems among children. They lose interest in studies, books and reading newspapers. Even if they read, they tend to lose interest fast [...] This is because on TV events jump from one theme to the next’” (Pandey). Children tend to lose interest in books and other important things quicker and easier from watching cartoons. Children should not view cartoons because it decreases attention span.


 Children should not watch cartoons because it causes an increase in violence. “Young children do not understand that a cartoon is not based on reality” and they usually copy the violent actions that go on, such as hitting and being disrespectful toward adults (Farhan). The very realistic cartoons confuse children into thinking that’s how they should act. What if every child acted out every event from a cartoon? David Satcher, a General Surgeon in the United States of America, found in a “2000 report on adolescent violence” that the effects of cartoons of the children’s mind result in more violent activity (Farhan). In the year 2000, Satcher did a report on the effects cartoons have on a child’s mind and found that cartoons made them more violent. Psychological research has shown that “the child may become less sensitive to the pain and suffering of others” from watching cartoons (Farhan). The study that was done showed that cartoons can affect the level of empathy a child might feel towards others. Children should not watch cartoons because it causes an increase in violence.
   

Many people believe that cartoons set good values and morals for children. Some cartoons help children “learn lessons about things like being kind and responsible” (Castiglia). Cartoons teach children how to act, so if the characters are acting in a way that children should not, they should not be watching it. Although, some cartoons teach children the right way to act and good morals, but most do not. Many cartoons teach children the wrong way to act by being violent and rude. Dr. Dimitri Christakis, a Seattle pediatrician, and researcher stated: “‘You are actually teaching them that violence is funny,’” Christakis told the Seattle Post-Intelligencer in a 2007 interview” (Hubbard). When children see bad things on television such as the characters acting violently, they act that way too. “The study also found that youngsters tended to mimic the negative behavior they saw on TV such as rumor-spreading, gossiping, and eye-rolling” (Farhan). Children see what cartoon characters do and mimic them. Many rude things are shown on cartoons, so that is what the children are being taught to do. Most cartoons do not set a good example for children to follow, so young children should not watch cartoons.


As aforementioned, young children should not view cartoons on television because it decreases cognitive function, attention span and increases violence. Children under the age of six watch about two hours of television, on average a day (Kids Health). The children of today are the future of tomorrow. The next generation should be smarter than the last, so we can have more technological advances and studies done. Let us present our children will educational cartoons, that will stimulate learning and positive behaviors that will benefit our society. 

 

 


Works Cited

Rabin, Roni Caryn. "Is SpongeBob SquarePants Bad for Children?" Well Is SpongeBob
SquarePants Bad for Children Comments. N.p., 12 Sept. 2011. Web. 25 Apr. 2016.
_r=1>.
Maltz, Ashley. "Is SpongeBob Trouble for Kids' Brains??" Ashley Maltz, MD, MPH: Medicine
For and  From the Soul. N.p., 2011. Web. 25 Apr. 2016.
.
Farhan, Mian. "Effect of Cartoons." Effect of Cartoons. N.p., 17 June 2012. Web. 25 Apr. 2016.

“Power Rangers again." Hero Complex Movies Comics Pop Culture Los Angeles Times. N.p.,
n.d. Web. 24 Apr. 2016.


Copyright Associated Press. "SpongeBob Slows Kids' Mental Function: Study." NBC4
Washington. N.p., 2016. Web. 25 Apr. 2016.


Diligent Media Corporation Ltd. "Too Much TV Can Affect Kids' Attention Span | Latest News
& Updates at Daily News & Analysis." Dna. N.p., 04 Aug. 2010. Web. 25 Apr. 2016.
.


The author's comments:

I love to watch cartoons. Especially the cartoon "Spongebob Squarepants".