Why Becoming a Vegetarian Is Beneficial for You and the World | Teen Ink

Why Becoming a Vegetarian Is Beneficial for You and the World

March 20, 2016
By TonyH BRONZE, HCMC, Other
TonyH BRONZE, HCMC, Other
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Did you know that Mike Tyson was a vegetarian? In fact, many famous people like Albert Einstein, Thomas Edison, Ellen DeGeneres, Ozzy Osbourne are all vegetarian. Becoming a vegetarian is not easy, but if we all suddenly became herbivores it would benefit the world drastically by reducing chances of death, cruel ways of farming, and saving the world from global warming (greenhouse gases). Some may say that protein from meat is essential for human beings, at first, this might seem convincing but it has also been proven that being a vegetarian also can get you the same amount of protein.


1.Health is always number one priority. We all learn this at some point in our lives that vegetables are healthy and this is in fact very true. Becoming a vegetarian can lower the risk of death, according to a study in 2013 on 70,000 people found that vegetarian has 12% lower chance of dying to cholesterol that clogs arteries. That means vegetarians may be at a lower risk for chronic diseases overall. Looking at another study in 2013 of 44,000 people vegetarians were 32% less likely to develop ischemic heart disease.

 

2.Have you ever wonder what is going on in farms and how animals end up on our plate? Well the information you will be given might be disturbing but, in fact, true. There are a lot going on from the farm to your fridge for example chickens, you have seen eggs in the supermarket, fried chickens in store but did you know that these chicken were all genetically modified. Stores nowadays are demanding bigger and fatter chickens each day to satisfy their customers so instead of waiting for them to grow they inject them with things that would force them to grow fatter and in this process the chickens would be seriously in pain and some of them might die. Nearly millions of baby chicken are dying each day being grinded up in a slow and painful grinding machine right after they have hatched and this is just because they are male chickens. Pork is also a big thing as the farmers rush to get more pork on the market, they would rip off a baby pigs testicles with no anesthesia (by hand). Then inject them with chemicals that would make them grow faster, throughout this process millions of pigs are killed due to the fact that they suffer injuries and or they were slaughtered because they failed to grow. All these things are cruel and we as humans should always remember what they have been through and rethink our actions.

 

3.Being a vegetarian is not only beneficial for you but it's also beneficial for the world by reducing climate change. If the world didn't have farms and have about 1.4 billion cow population to feed us each day, it would reduce the possibility of climate change because of the millions of animals producing methane (7 or more times worse than Co2) and farms are producing the 60% of methane around the world. But we all know that it's not possible to shut down all the farms from around the world, so by reducing the amount of meat you buy, would mean that the farms do not need to produce as much food, therefore, reducing the number of animals they need to farm.

 

Summing it all up becoming a vegetarian can prevent a lot of bad changes to the world including health, pollution, and cruel farming techniques. This is the result of human extinction. Even the environment became an issue because of the farms increase rate of deforestation in order to raise animals. On the other hand growing only crops and vegetables is actually more beneficial. Raising an animal just to inject them with chemicals and give them pain, these are all unnecessary things. But as we evolve and grow we will start to realize that in the near future these things (stop eating meat) might just become a priority as we slowly change the world.