Make the Switch | Teen Ink

Make the Switch

By Ross3thawks BRONZE, Northborough, Massachusetts
Ross3thawks BRONZE, Northborough, Massachusetts

Think back to the last 24 hours of your life, specifically what you drank.  I'm sure it was filled with caffeine, and sugar, and diet sweeteners. Have you ever thought to yourself how many unhealthy things you could prevent entering your body by the sole act of replacing it all with water? There are countless benefits of replacing all the soda coffee and juice we consume every day with water. Not only is water completely sugar and calorie free, it also great tastes and costs virtually nothing!  It can save you huge amounts of money overtime, and will help you lose weight, and feel better. The only thing standing in the way of solely drinking water is ignorance to the fact that sugary beverages are just as bad for you as a chocolate bar, if not worse.

Let me first talk solely about the cost benefits of solely drinking good old H2O. On average, according to time magazine, American households spend 850$ on soft drinks and $1320 on beer.  And that early morning coffee run you make on the way to school or work? That’s on average 1,100 $ a year.  All of these drink costs add up quickly. Solely on soda, coffee and beer, Americans spend on average 3,270$. With that money you could buy a used car! There’s no excuse for you to be wasting your money when there is a free, healthier alternative.  It’s shocking how fast that money adds up. Now if you replaced all of those beverages with water from your home, you’ll be able to hydrate yourself every day, while only having to purchase a water bottle. The true cost of tap water according to Slate.com is .004$ a gallon. That number will add up to $1.42 if you drink a whopping gallon every day. You can hydrate yourself for an entire year, or you could buy half of a small coffee from Dunkin donuts. It doesn’t take an economic genius to see the benefits of drinking just water. 

Not only will you save money, you will also be saving yourself from an abundance of undesirable harmful substances from entering your body. By drinking calorie and sugar free water, you will be sparing yourself hundreds of calories. On average, Americans consume 11% of their daily calories from drinking. Also, you will also be at a lesser risk for diseases such as diabetes. “People who consume sugary drinks regularly—1 to 2 cans a day or more—have a 26% greater risk of developing type 2 diabetes than people who rarely have such drinks.”   By sacrificing the abundant sugar and calories in soda and coffee you will lose weight and feel better. Water replenishes your skin and helps hydrate your muscles. It also is linked to kidney health and regulating bowel movements.  It seems that there are countless benefits to replacing the unhealthy beverages you drink each day with water. Although sugary drinks may taste better than water, it isn’t worth sacrificing your well being just because soda and juice better taste.