The Truth About Vaccinations | Teen Ink

The Truth About Vaccinations

January 19, 2016
By s_berrie BRONZE, North Pole, Alaska
s_berrie BRONZE, North Pole, Alaska
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Trypanophobia- the phobia of needles.  While this is quite common amongst both the youth and adult population, some needle pricks can be key to human survival.  I'm talking about vaccinations. 
     

Contrary to popular belief, there is a difference between a vaccination, and an immunization.  A vaccination, is the small, and rather painless injection that is administered to you by your healthcare provider.  An immunization, is what you get from a vaccination, the immunity against certain bacteria and viruses.  There is a wide array of both required, and optional vaccinations that will aid in providing immunity to certain viruses, and bacteria that can be detrimental to your health. 

     

There are many reasons why parents choose not to have vaccinations administered to their child.  These include religious reasons, medical exemptions (such as the child having an allergy), and belief their child will receive a negative side affect from the vaccination.  While there can be negative side affects on those who have had a vaccination administered to them, it is very rare, and very unlikely.  There is even still belief that vaccinations can cause autism because of a case study by Andrew Wakefield, which is completely false according to the Mayo Clinic, an organization of healthcare professionals. You can be born with autism, but you cannot catch it.  The onset of autism happens in utero, before birth. 

Not being vaccinated can not only cause health problems to you, but to those around you, who are also not vaccinated.  According to the CDC, there are people who cannot be vaccinated at all, such as those with weakened immune systems, cancer patients undergoing chemotherapy, and those diagnosed with SARS.  Then there is the case of those who simply cannot receive them because they have an allergy.  You not being vaccinated can spread diseases that have been thought to be eradicated, diseases that can possibly be fatal to you, and to those with weakened immune systems.

There are optional vaccinations that parents can choose to have administered to their teen.  These are generally a good idea, because let’s face it, as we mature, the majority of teens will have closer, more personal contact with their peers.  I know as teens we don’t have much of a say in whether or not we can be vaccinated.  However if your parents have, and continue to have you vaccinated, be sure you are up to date, and ask about optional vaccinations the next time you visit your healthcare provider.  It could not only save your life, but the lives of those around you.


The author's comments:

I take a Professonalism in Healthcare class at my school.  We learned about the affects of vaccinations.  We also learned about the ethical views and issues that arise with the topic.  This subjct in particular peeked my interest.  I decided I wanted to share this useful, and interesting topic with other teens.