Can You Hear Me? | Teen Ink

Can You Hear Me?

By teroo BRONZE, Farmington Hills, Michigan
teroo BRONZE, Farmington Hills, Michigan

“Did you know that the number of teenagers with hearing loss from slight to severe has jumped 33 percent since 1994?” (Virginia Heffernan). Headphones are a big part of this. They are dangerous, especially if people use them daily and improperly. They can even cause permanent hearing loss. This is horrible! If one day you lose your hearing, you will not be able to listen to anything because of headphones. They don’t understand the damage they could be doing to their hearing. Therefore, people should stop listening to headphones so loud for such a long time.
People always listen to their headphones on full volume. Damage is done when we listen to loud noises for a long time. It’s also dangerous because some people use iPods or mp3 when they’re driving and cause traffic accidents. For pedestrians, headphones can cause people to trip or bump into someone. Also, some people when they study they put headphones on too loud, so they don’t focus on what they’re doing. In addition, there are people who sleep with their headphones.

“I can’t live without headphones!” is something a lot of teenagers say. Some people say headphones are good because sometimes you enjoy listening to music by yourself and it keeps you away from bad stuff. But it seems to me it’s not good if you listen to music too loud and for a long time. Headphones are only good when you are using them in the right way.

Headphones are dangerous because they give headaches and hurt your hearing. I know my friend; she is always sitting at her house with headphones on her ears. When she goes out, she puts them on too. That is really not good for her. I always told her that but she didn’t care about what I told her. Now, she has to have the volume very loud on everything. Also, for example, one day, I had a headache after I used my headphones for two hours. My ears were hurting me because of my headphones.

We should stop wearing headphones so much or we will end up deaf. Instead, we should listen to music on the radio, on your phone, on computers, and on television.

hi my name is teresa im a high school student, i wrote  about this topic ,because its really proplem specially for teens,because they  using it all the time and they dont know what theyre doing for their health.

RodofAsclepius BRONZE, Canton, New York
Nicely written! Very convincing! However, it would be even more convincing if you could cite some sources and add some statistics. It also might be helpful if you had an explicit section telling people how to use their headphones more safely instead of having tips dispersed within the article. Otherwise, good job!