We Are Not Lovin' It | Teen Ink

We Are Not Lovin' It

December 17, 2015
By NaomiScharf BRONZE, Sacramento, California
NaomiScharf BRONZE, Sacramento, California
3 articles 0 photos 1 comment

In response to the rising obesity epidemic in children, many parents have taken it upon themselves to educate their kids on how to eat healthy. These parents spend time ensuring their children are aware of how to make healthy choices. Unfortunately, when these kids are exposed to the manipulative properties of television commercials their parents’ efforts are immediately lost. The advertisements for food kids see on television cloud their perception of what foods are healthy. When kids think sugary breakfast cereals and granola bars are “part of a complete breakfast” the causes of childhood obesity become clear. To solve this problem, both the parents and food companies need to change. Parents need to limit the television their kids watch and explain how the commercials on television are misleading. More importantly, these commercials that lie to take advantage of the easily impressionable minds of young children need to be heavily restricted. Without the effort of both parents and food companies on this issue, children everywhere will continue to physically and mentally suffer under the lies of television.

When kids watch television they are bombarded by various commercials for sugary drinks, fatty snacks, and deep-fried meals. The overwhelming majority of food and drink advertisements aimed at kids are for foods high in saturated fat and filled with added sugar and salt (Kaplan). These commercials convince children to eat unhealthy foods and to believe these foods are not as bad as they seem. With constant cravings and lack of knowledge in health, kids who watch just one hour of television are up to 73% more likely to become obese. Any more than an hour and the risk increases to an astounding 83% (Olson). When a daily activity is more than likely to make a child sick with long term health problems, would we not want to protect our children? When food products are advertised as “popular” many kids will feel pressured into  unhealthy eating. In a survey given to 109 kids at Natomas Charter School, 60% of the children agreed their eating habits were influenced by those around them. More than half of these kids will choose the unhealthy option, putting themselves at risk, if their friends were doing the same. Increasing the risk of obesity and depression, unhealthy influences arise from the persuasive advertisements on television.

Sure, many parents teach their kids the basics of nutritional health with the all-too-famous “eat your vegetables so you can grow big and strong” or “no sweets before bed”, but this is not enough. Children everywhere are exposed to the misleading “facts” of junk food commercials that convince them high-sugar cereals are “fortified with essential vitamins.” It is the parent’s responsibility to ensure their kids are aware of the intent of commercials. Most kids under the age of 6 can not distinguish between their preferred program and advertisements (The Impact). Young kids can cheer for Dora the Explorer and chant “I’m lovin’ it” with no distinction between the two. Kids need to be taught at a young age the manipulative properties of advertisements they see on television. Ask your kids what they believe commercials are trying to sell them and help them understand how food companies will try anything to make them buy a product. With an understanding of the manipulative intent of food advertisements, kids will find making healthy choices easier, therefore improving their long-term health.

When advertisements claim their product “contains 11 essential vitamins” that may not be a direct lie. The product may contain such ingredients but these claims are used to cover the fact there are worse ingredients like added sugar or high fructose corn syrup. The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) claims deceptive marketing practices to children are regulated. If the representation of a product is likely to mislead a customer it is considered a violation of the FTC’s laws of marketing to children. The food industry has gone around these restrictions by using out-of-proportion facts that make their product seem healthy. By restricting misleading information in advertisements the FTC has helped with childhood obesity but if that same advertisement is marketing their product to appear healthy no progress has been made. Cigarettes are directly linked to several extreme health conditions like lung cancer. Foods high in fat and added sugar have been linked to obesity, so what is the difference? Commercials for unhealthy food should be required to come with health warnings. A clear label of “continuous consumption of this product will lead to obesity” will help kids understand the truth. No child deserves to be manipulated into thinking the food they eat is okay while their waists continue to grow.

Our children deserve better than the manipulative commercials we have today which is why taking action now is really important. However, we may find it difficult not seeing immediate benefits. Dr. Steven Gortmaker, Harvard professor of the Practice of Health Sociology, said “just as the decline in smoking did not happen overnight, a reduction in the rates of overweight and obesity will take a while” (Brody). While the benefits of protecting your children from unhealthy commercials may not appear immediately, you will thank yourself later when your kids grow up strong and healthy. In the documentary Fed Up, directed by Stephanie Soechtig, sugar is viewed as the cigarette of the 21st century (Fed). Kids introduced to sugary beverages and other junk food products at a young age will suffer the long term effects of obesity for the majority of their shortened lives. Not only will children develop lung problems and increase their risk of getting various types of cancer, their physical size will bring depression caused by bullies and social expectations. If parents can teach their kids to avoid the sugary, fatty persuasion on television and these advertisements are paired with accurate health information, our kids will not need to suffer the physical and mental effects of obesity. Do not let the next generation, your children, suffer from the long term effects of misleading food commercials. Do not let them live their life in physical and mental pain because of unhealthy habits established at a young age from what they saw on television. Give your children the life they deserve, teach them how to avoid commercial manipulation, and support the restriction of these unhealthy, persuasive advertisements.

 

 

 

Works Cited

Brody, Jane E. "Attacking the Obesity Epidemic by First Figuring Out Its Cause." The New York Times. Arthur Ochs Sulzberger, Jr., 12 Sept. 2011. Web. 7 Dec. 2015.

Daniels, Jamie. "Marketing to Children: Where Is the Line and Who Enforces It?" The U.S. Small Business Administration. N.p., 6 July 2010. Web. 11 Dec. 2015.

Fed Up. Dir. Stephanie Soechtig. The Weinstein Company, 2014. Film.

Kaplan, Karen. "Healthy Food for Kids? Not on TV Commercials, Study Finds." Los Angeles Times. Los Angeles Times, 02 Aug. 2011. Web. 09 Dec. 2015.

Olson, Samantha. "Watching TV Works Fast To Up Kids' Obesity Risk." Medical Daily. N.p., 27 Apr. 2015. Web. 10 Dec. 2015.

"The Impact of Food Advertising on Childhood Obesity." American Psychological Association. N.p., 12 Feb. 2011. Web. 10 Dec. 2015.


The author's comments:

I hope though reading this article people will realize the dangers of manipulative food advertisements, especially towards children.