Why Junk Food Is Bad | Teen Ink

Why Junk Food Is Bad

By DivineAwakening BRONZE, Ft Peirce, Florida
DivineAwakening BRONZE, Ft Peirce, Florida

Why do we eat junk food? We eat it because it tastes good and it looks good, am I right? It can’t be harmful to you, can it? Yes it is very harmful to you just like cigarette. It can make you obese and you do not want that! Let me tell you why. Some of you reading this are thinking what obesity is.  Obesity is a medical condition when excess body fat has collected like a duster to the extent that it may have a negative effect on someone’s health, leading to reduced life expectancy and/or increased health problems. So if you can hang on a little longer I will explain how it’s harmful and how it’s digested differently.

Some of you don’t know what junk foods are. An example would be sugary sodas or donuts. The primary ingredients of sugary soda include either high fructose corn syrup or sucrose which comes from sugarcane, caramel color, caffeine, phosphoric acid, coca extract, lime extract, vanilla, and glycerin. High fructose corn syrup or sucrose are crazy overwhelmingly the major ingredients added to a one 600 ml bottle of Coca Cola contains an approximate equivalent of 15 teaspoons of sugar. So you would vomit after you drank it, however, the phosphoric acid takes the flavor of the sugar out of the coke. If you still want a coke watch this video.

Junk Food can affect your digestion. Junk food is unhealthy for the digestive system as junk food can slowdown the digestion process making the stomach bloated. In order to digest the food you eat, the stomach needs different types of enzymes and fast food does not contain them. When food is absorbed by intestines it requires fiber and water to discharge but they don't have such nutrients which leads to a poor digestion and irritable bowels.

Most of you know by now that junk food is horrible for you so is fast food because there the same thing. Junk food can cause diabetes, obesity, depression, nutrient deficiencies, and high sodium. If you don’t know what junk food is technically junk food is a pejorative term for food containing high levels of calories from sugar or fat with little protein, vitamins or minerals. Use of the term implies that a particular food has little "nutritional value" and contains excessive fat, sugar, salt, and calories. 

Did you know that junk food can impair brain function and/or memory loss? Scientists have conducted tests and proven that junk food usually affects short term memory. It mostly affects men who are middle aged. Junk food destroys the mind and deteriorates your memory. I hope next time you go to the fridge or pantry you think of my article but if you still don’t believe me research it for yourself.

on Oct. 4 2023 at 11:49 am
Shorthairdontcare SILVER, Houston Area, Texas
I think it's okay to eat junk food sometimes, but if you eat it all the time then it can be really bad