Do You Know Someone Who Committed Suicide? | Teen Ink

Do You Know Someone Who Committed Suicide?

By HiddenWonders BRONZE, Newark, New Jersey
HiddenWonders BRONZE, Newark, New Jersey

" Speak the truth, even if your voice shakes." -Unknown

In my life  I have been exposed to the hidden pain that the people around me carried around with them; for what almost seems like forever. I met so many incredible people along the way, with such beautiful souls. Only if they could have seen, what I saw through my eyes. The thing that made them different from most was that these people were constantly walking with demons. –Metaphorically speaking-. I can’t say I wish they were stronger, but sometimes I get livid when they completely gave up on their selves, and on their lives. They had something to live for, only if they could see it. Majority of the time, it’s easier to see potential in someone else’s circumstance, then in your own.

There’s this one boy in particular that pops into my mind each and every single time I read and reread this question. His name is Arian; He is a couple years younger than me. I was 13 he had to be about 11 or 12. Arian had a keen sense of humor that I still haven’t forgotten. We use to clash a lot because we had different viewpoints on everything. I was a very close-minded 13 years old( That’s probably why). I never tried to give his ideas a chance. I always thought, “No, you shouldn’t think that way, my way is right, yours is wrong” and that was the end of it.  Arian had told me about his life and how his life was pure agony.  He had told me when he was younger his father had committed suicide. (The reason I won’t share how he died is because that’s all that people will remember. I still remember how, and it’s been years.) After he told me his dad had passed away, he told me he wanted to be with his dad: because life was torturous and his dad took the easy way out, without him.  Even though he had his mother, I couldn’t imagine what it felt like losing your earthly father.   The way he spoke about life did not sound like it was coming from an 11 year old, it sounded as if it was coming from an 80 year old man that came back from a cold blooded war in Iraq; Because the way he spoke, so nonchalantly with such poise and with such experience in his voice. I never really understood him, until now.  To prevent suicide ideally would be to tell the person who is feeling suicidal that you care about them, and try to reassure them that everything will be okay and they are stronger then their issues, and to  never make permanent decisions on temporary feelings.