School Lunch is Gross | Teen Ink

School Lunch is Gross

November 8, 2015
By avery31100 BRONZE, Wilmington, Massachusetts
avery31100 BRONZE, Wilmington, Massachusetts
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

“Ew, that’s gross,” says almost every student in America that has ever eaten the chicken nuggets for school lunch. If America has the highest rate for obesity why do we not make our school lunches healthier and more flavorful. Schools all over America should provide more appetizing lunches because students need to eat healthier lunches. The only way schools are going to help is if they spend a little more money and make the food taste more decadent.

     

About 17% of children and young adults ages 2-19 are obese, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.  “Healthy students are better students,” says Rochelle Davis, the founding Executive Director for the Healthy Schools Campaign. If all this is true then why would schools not want their  lunches to be healthy? Administrators should want their school to be number one. Poor nutrition from school lunches causes more than just weight gain. A child who eats an inordinate amount of fat, sugar, sodium, or processed food is more susceptible  to many chronic health problems, including diabetes, kidney stones, bone loss, cancer and heart disease.  Many active students need specific nutrients that school lunches lack. If student athletes do not obtain these nutrients they may end up feeling weak, fatigued or nauseous during exercise.
   

Students’ mental and emotional health can also be affected by unhealthy foods and poor nutrition. Students who lack the nutrients needed in everyday life tend to suffer from many psychological disabilities such as anxiety and learning disabilities, according to the Children’s defense fund. When a child does not receive the right amount of nutrients they do not have as much energy as they normally should. Students may lack the energy to come to school and could lead to potentially having to repeat grades.


America is one of the richest countries in the world, so you would think that we would have enough money to pay for better and healthier school lunches. If the U.S. has the money and actually cares about the wellbeing of students then why would they not spend it on tastier lunches. All across the world school lunches are healthier and more filling. In France, students enjoy kiwi, apple slices, green beans, sweet potatoes and steak during a school meal. In Finland, for lunch, students have the choice of carrots, rye bread, pea soup, beet salad and a delicious crepe with fruit. The typical American school lunch offers an orange slice, some applesauce, chocolate milk, and what looks to be an unknown meat. France and Finland spend roughly three dollars on school lunches and America spends about 30 cents on school lunches. Although school lunches in other countries may cost more to make that just shows these schools prioritize the health of their students.
   

There needs to be a change made to school lunch menus all across the U.S. “We can do a tremendous amount of good for kids across the country if we change school lunches,” says Chef Ann Cooper. A movement is starting to bring change to school lunch programs across the country. Schools should be spending a little more money on lunches to provide students with the nutrients they need. Many of those nutrients can be found in fruits, vegetables, dairy and wheat. In Berkeley, California a small school is making a big change. Martin Luther King Junior Middle School has established an Edible Schoolyard. Equipped with a full kitchen, this Edible Schoolyard provides its students with fresh fruits and vegetables and all the nutrients they will need to get through the day.
In the end, schools should change their lunches to help children all over America become better students and athletes. Many kids from across the country are suffering from obesity and schools can help to change that. If schools actually cared about students then they should be helping the students by providing them with healthier school lunch choices.  A failure to succeed academically, socially and physically can create a huge impact on a student’s life.