Is It a Healthy Relationship? | Teen Ink

Is It a Healthy Relationship?

Be a teenager is something hard. Our hormones are going crazy most of the time and we don’t know how to deal with them. We sometimes get confused with love too. As a teenager we might not know when we’re having a healthy relationship or if it’s just something we’re trying to work out that doesn’t have a future.  For example, I thought my last relationship would last forever and that we made the perfect match but in realty it was the opposite.  My boyfriend had a drug problem that he was trying to fix it, to me he was still the best person in the world because he would always make me smile, he would help me with my problems and I could just tell him anything so I accepted to be his girlfriend. In reality I didn’t know what I was getting myself into. I tried to not let the drugs get in between us because I knew that he was trying to get better. He promised me that he would stop for and I was happy at the time because I would think “Wow he’s really changing for me so he must really care about me.” But then sometimes he would have problems with his family and he would text me in the middle of the night saying that he’s going to kill himself that he can’t take it no more and then he would start telling “Bye I love you, Sorry for what I’m about to do.” Just imagine how I was feeling not being to be able to do anything to stop him because he lived an hour away and my parents wouldn’t drive me to his house. I would just tell him “Please don’t! If you love me so much you won’t leave me.” So at this point he hasn’t done drugs and hasn’t killed himself for me. But then there was a time where I couldn’t talk to him because my dad took my phone away for being rude to my mom and to him. I never got the chance to explain to my boyfriend what was going on so he thought that I was mad at him and that I didn’t want to talk to him anymore. I was just imagining the worst because he would tell me when he losses me is the day his world crashes down into pieces. Then I started to think that if he killed himself because me I wouldn’t be able to live with it. Then when I got my phone back he wasn’t answering my texts, neither was his family. I thought my boyfriend was dead and that I would never talk to him again, that is the worst feeling you could ever have. After a few days he messages me and tells me he was in jail and that he had just got out. He went to jail because they caught him doing drugs and robbing a house. When he explained everything I was thinking that it was my entire fault that he went to jail, if I hadn’t stopped talking to him he wouldn’t have done any of that stuff. Then he starts telling me that he’s leaving to rehab for a few month and that I won’t be able to see him or talk to him while he’s there. At first I thought it was okay because he’s going to get better and afterwards we’re going to be together. But then he started to talk about stuff that I never really knew about him and it was stuff that I knew he wasn’t planning on getting better so I told him “You got to stop with all this or we’re done.” All he said was “If that’s what you want fine, but if you leave me I’m done with my life” He practically put his life in my hands and that’s when I told myself I can’t continue with this relationship because it was wrong for him to put all that pressure on me because for a whole month his problems weren’t only bringing him down but they were bringing me down also. I didn’t want to leave him because I felt like I was letting him down but in reality I was just making my life miserable because I wasn’t happy with him anymore.  I was just with him because I didn’t want his death to be in my hands. I’m glad my best friend stepped in and put a stop to this and helped me end things with him without there being a tragedy. After I ended things with him I felt like I could breath. At first you might think that helping them through their problems you’re being a good girlfriend/boyfriend but sometimes its not good when you’re a teenager because you’re just learning how to love and care. Don’t get me wrong though, you can help them but when they start saying “I’ll do it for you.” That’s when you should say “No, do it for yourself because you’re the one that’s going to get the most affected.” And if they still say they are doing it for you, you should really step away from the relationship because you’re putting all the pressure on yourself and there is so much that a person can take before they break. Take this advice from a person that’s been through this problem.

I don't want other people to make the same mistake I did.