Why Healthy Foods Should Be Cheaper | Teen Ink

Why Healthy Foods Should Be Cheaper

By Claude0047 BRONZE, Amherst, New York
Claude0047 BRONZE, Amherst, New York

Do you know that it costs $1.50 more per day to shop for healthy foods?  Studies prove that the expense of vegetables, fruits and organic products etc. has caused the obesity levels in the U.S. to increase dramatically. Something is wrong here. Healthy foods should be cheaper than junk foods because we shouldn't be paying more to live a better lifestyle.

The reason why healthy foods are more expensive and unhealthy foods are cheaper is because unhealthy foods have less expensive ingredients like corn and soy. Healthy foods has raised retail prices and with junk being cheaper and more quantity, people tend to buy unhealthy foods because you can get more for your money. Healthy foods take more processing so they require more attention and they are sold by weight. Research found that supporting healthy foods and taxing unhealthy foods is a good way to influence people to buy healthy foods.

Healthy foods should be a bigger priority than unhealthy foods. Junk foods are harmful to the body if eaten everyday. Healthy foods are valuable to our bodies because it doesn't do harm to our bodies like junk does. Unhealthy diets have a lot of effects like poor exercise capabilities, poor brain function, sleep deprivation, and you'll have indigestion problems or even increased weight gain (McLaughlin).

Eating healthy has good benefits. For instance, you'll be more productive, less stressed and you'll live longer. A study found that eating unhealthy foods has a 66% increased risk of productivity loss (Pratini, 2014). Having a balanced diet gives your brain more fuel and makes a big difference in your productivity and energy supply. Specific foods can lower our body's level of cortisol “the stress hormone”. Study found that foods packed with vitamin C, omega-3 fatty acids and magnesium help reduce cortisol levels (Pratini, 2014).