You're Not Alone | Teen Ink

You're Not Alone

By KatieKilljoy SILVER, Franklin, Tennessee
KatieKilljoy SILVER, Franklin, Tennessee

When someone has depression then they feel hopeless. It's like they are stumbling around in a dark tunnel and can't see the light at the end. In many cases they will isolate themselves and become more distant. In others, they will hide their feelings and fake a smile every day only to cry themselves to sleep.

People with depression will sometimes try anything to get rid of the pain; Sometimes they cause themselves physical pain such as cutting, burning or bruising in order to take their minds off of the mental pain and other times they can go as far as suicide to stop themselves from hurting.

One of the main things that hurts these people is the feeling that they are alone. They don't think anyone can truly understand, and maybe that's true sometimes but that shouldn't keep anyone from trying to comfort them.

If you feel alone, please open up to somebody and allow them to comfort you. No, they may not have gone through the same thing, but they can help you through it. Everyone needs a shoulder to cry on or an ear to vent to. I know because I have been through it.

Now there are many different types of people you can talk to.

You can always talk to a loyal and trustworthy friend if that's who you're most comfortable with. Make sure that they are a real friend and do actually care for your mental health. If you go to a friend, make sure it's someone who cares enough to answer the phone in the middle of the night and talk you out of bad decisions such as self harm.

Another type of friend you can talk to is the Friend that is going through the samething you are. Now this type of friend can be really helpful but you also need to be really cautious about this option. These friends can understand anything you throw their way. They don't ask you a million questions about your scars because chances are, they have them too. However, choosing this person to open up to can also cause many problems. You can both feed off of each others sadness and only continue to bring each other down. So, this could actually have a reverse effect and prove to make you feel even worse than before because instead of having somebody to understand, you have someone to be really depressed with and that isn't healthy at all.

Next you have a loving family member. These people have been with you from the beginning. As much as you both disagree, fight and argue there isn't a day that goes by that you don't love your family no matter how hidden it can appear at times. So whether it is a parent, aunt, uncle or sibling, just understand that they love you no matter what and you can depend on them.

If you are religious or go to a church then maybe you should try speaking with a youth leader. These people are sweet and caring so they will do everything in their power to make you feel comfortable talking about your situation to them. This will really help if the depression has hurt your faith because they can help you get through everything while growing in your church.

Lastly is the Counselor. As someone who has been to many of these throughout my life, I can honestly say that you have to find one you trust and like talking to. Some counselors don't help at all, and others are the complete opposite. This is a very good option though for most people. If you can find a nice counselor that you want to speak with about all the current problems then that is truly wonderful and can help you so much. They keep everything confidential and it's easy to talk to them. Like they say, sometimes its easier to talk to a stranger.

However, DO NOT depend on a boyfriend/girlfriend to make you feel less alone or to "fix" you. Take it from someone who knows, this will end badly.

Hopefully you take my advice and find someone to open up to.

It will make you feel so much better having someone you know for a fact is always there when you need them.

No matter how bad it gets, you are never alone.

I felt alone for so long. I hope I can help someone find the right person to open up to because finding the right person to trust is honestly so important.